Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car on the highway yesterday to visit the weigh station, and I experienced a high-speed vibration. It seemed worst at a particular speed and was gone at a speed above or below that.

I suspect a driveline imbalance (such as the driveshaft), but I'm looking for other opinions.

The engine, flexplate, and torque converter were all balanced, and I've got new motor mounts, a new transmission mount, and new U-joints front and rear. At a similar RPM in 2nd there is no vibration. I've got 4.62 gears, so the driveline is spinning pretty fast as compared to stock gearing. I've got a spool installed if that matters. I've recently had a front-end alignment and the tires balanced.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Sounds like it's directly linked to car speed ... that would indicate to me it's driveline or tire.

When I went to my 4.11:1 gears I had a vibration at 85 MPH ... had to get the driveline rebuilt, cost 120.00 for new tube, yoke and balance ...

Sometimes they can simply be rebalanced unless there is a dent of deformity. mine had a small dent so a rebuild was in order.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'd take it back to the place that balanced your tires. Tell them your car didn't have the vibration before the alignment and balancing and now it does. Sometimes a wheel weight can fall off, however rare. The shop should do the balancing for the wheels for free, especially because of the circumstances. If that doesn't cure it, then do what Monster Mach suggested. No need to spend any money up front if it happens to be the wheels, and the shop's fault you know? Good luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try rotating the driveshaft 180 degrees within the yoke. Unbolt the 2 u-bolts that attach the driveshaft itself to the rearend...then rotate the driveshaft (with tranny in neutral) 180* and bolt back in place. Had a problem very similiar to yours and that cured it. Other guys are right, either this or a tire imbalance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts