Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to reinstall the check ball for the vacuum secondaries in a Holley 600? Will the secondaries come in faster, or more fully with out the check ball? I’m asking this for a friend and this is how he described it to me; hope it makes more sense to you than it did to me.

This is for 2 fours.

Thanks

Gregg
-----------------------------------------------------------
Are you ever really finished working on them?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gregg on 1/25/02 8:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You need the check ball in it so the secondaries don't open too quickly. Without a secondary accelerator squirt, the secondaries shouldn't open too quickly or you will get a hesitation or stumble. In the case were you do want to tune it to open more quickly, you can adjust the opening speed with a spring in the diaghram housing.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I think it depends on the exact application.you can use the check ball (or not) along with the spring kit to customize the opening of your vacuum secondaries for your exact application.I know the kit says not to remove the ball but even with the lightest spring my secondaries opened too slowly.So I took out the ball as well and that worked for me.You might try taking out the ball and then try a slightly heavier spring,if they open too fast .The combinations are endless and only trial and error will tell you what works for "YOUR" setup

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with frdnut. I had a 600vac sec that I had to take the ball out of to get the secondaries to wirk right. I then tailored the secondaries with the spring kit. If I was out to play, I used a real light spring. If I was driving to work or school, I used the heavy spring. Get the quick change secondary kit too. Saves alot of time changing the springs. Well worth the $7 spent. You only have to remove two screws versus 7 or 8. Be carefull not to rip the diaphram when changing too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts