Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4514-1 (list number) Holley original carburetor that were OEM from ford on the 1970 Mustang GT or Cobra 428CJ cars. It has an idle circuit problem that I cannot discern. I would like to value this carburetor in its current condition and value if it were run through the Holley Custom shop and put in like new condition. In any case I want to sell this carburetor. Can anyone help with a ball park figure as to what it is worth?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
Is it a D0ZF-AA or D0ZF-AB? If so, they are work good money, even if an ugly core, actually they have the potential for ridiculous money

Report back, if its either of those, the core could be worth north of 400 bucks, maybe even 4-digits

Moreover, if either of those, most guys will want to make sure its concours correct, not just replated/rebuilt, they are that rare, so you may want to feel it out before you do anything to it.

69 CJ carbs are much more available. Be advised that if its any other casting number other than that, price drops like a rock.

Also, if it is a D0ZF-AB or AA, its NOT a 390GT carb, its a 428CJ carb only. 390GT carbs were only rated at 600 cfm and although a good carb, are a much different animal than a 735 CJ carb

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I am with FE about its worth vs condition. IF its a good candidate for the restore by holley, then the value could be as stated.

MRO.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a DOZF-9510- AB.(choke horn) The motorcraft number on the tag is DOZF AB.
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide whether to send it to Holley for R&R or sell as is. It has been on a running engine but is rich at idle and not smooth. I think Holley could straigten it out and don't really think there is anything major wrong with it but I would not want to take advantage of someone if it does have an issue that is not repairable. I'm not very familiar with these as I was usually the owner of another OEM's cars. Do you think the R&R would lower the value?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
To FE and the original poster

The D0ZF-AB and AA are very rare carbs compared to the C9AF CJ carb.

I would expect that carb to pull 350-400 all day long depending on condition.

As far as it not running correctly, very rarely is a Holley cracked, generally over the years the float bowls have been overtightened and warped the metering surface, a quick mill and proper set up fixes most issues.

With that being said, a concours rebuild is not cheap, and just because Holley does it, doesn't mean its going to be rebuilt to concours specs.

The market for a 70 CJ carb is going to be guys who want a perfect numbers matching kind of car, rebuild or replate it wrong, its going to be worth no more than it is as a core, and maybe less, even if it does run better.

Rebuild and refinish it concours-style, sure it will be worth more, but you'll pay more to get it there too.

As far as the "broken carb" comment, hell half the concours cars don't even have oil in them, not my style, and I doubt its truly "broken" but even so, for the guys who would want this carb, the casting and date code is often worth more than the condition.

428 Cobra Jet and 428 Super Cobra Jet Parts

Scroll down on that page, Perogie gets 895.00 for one that needs a rebuild, even if he is overpriced by double, thats over 400 bucks for a core.

This aint a 4 barrel off a 67 Galaxie, and advise that you guys check in swap meets when you see old Holleys sitting around, find a good part number, and you'll have some cash while being some resto guy's hero

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the good info. We will get it repaired and keep it as orignal as possible.

dmac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts