Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Holley 600 with the newer no-adjustable floats. After taking it apart and cleaning it how is one to know what the float height is when they don't give any info on them...Has anyone rebuilt one. Mine was weeping gas after I turned it off. Might have been debris in the needle. An Autolite has a height cart with the rebuild kit...Maybe Holley thinks these are great but I like the old adjustable ones. Any suggestions

Greg

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have a Holley 600 with the newer no-adjustable floats. After taking it apart and cleaning it how is one to know what the float height is when they don't give any info on them...Has anyone rebuilt one. Mine was weeping gas after I turned it off. Might have been debris in the needle. An Autolite has a height cart with the rebuild kit...Maybe Holley thinks these are great but I like the old adjustable ones. Any suggestions

Greg
swap the bowls for the ones you like.
you can adjust the floaton the ones you have till its right

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did think about that Dan. The cathedral bowls that are on the Street avenger might work. This turned out to be just a PITA with trying to be the same as others ...Why change what works well :frown: Might see if I can find some new ones.

Greg

·
Registered
27 Posts
the floats need to have the casting for the transfer tube from front to back... you can either set the floats you have... level float... bowl inverted, or replace with side hung bowls that have adjustable needle and seats... same bowl but threaded on top... then you can at least remove needle to blow out when needed... new i think allstate carb sells them for like 20 bucks.... ebay also

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
When I personally rebuild something, there is never any debris to get caught in the needle and I always put the floats back where I got them without bending anything.
Seems to me more people should practice this.
There is no reason to re-set the float level in a standard rebuild that did not have float level issues prior to the build in my opinion...

Don't get hurt feelings, it's just gotta be said sometimes...

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think what happened was that the carb went to a guy to do some tuning for me and may have set the floats wrong by adjusting them...Now I am going to take it apart and set them correct. The debris issue is a guess but that was just a thought that the needle wasn't closing down . I think it may just be wise to change the bowls with the old style adjustable :)

Thanks

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts