Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First a little info on motor and car specs.1961 Falcon 302 bored 30 over,Lunati cam488 lift 284 duration 110 lobe seperation, Torker manifold 650 Holley double pumper 69 primaries 72 secondaries 31 squirter in front 28 in back 30cc pumps.After 5 runs at the strip launching at 3700 rpm and doing good just got on the ladder and decided to launch a little higher 4000 rpm the car came out of the hole an died before the 60 foot mark I was able to restart it and get a time of 17 something luckily the guy redlighted,took car back to the pits and could find nothing wrong so when next round came, up after a good burnout I went to lauch and the same thing happened again was able to restart it but a 27 time was not good enough to win needless to say and after a .516 light. Anyhow car seems to run fine after it gets going again. This has never happened before and is hard to test on the street. All components in the carb have been checked and cant find anything wrong. What do I need to look at to solve this problem?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
2 things to check.

1. Do you have jet extentions? If not, you should. When you launch the fuel can run awy from the rear jets, uncovering them. This can cause a stumble, but it shouldn't die.

2. Run a piece of rubber fuel line from the front vent tube to the rear vent tube. Then put a slit in the top of the tube so it will allow both of the bowls to vent from the top of the tube. The reason is because when you launch hard, fuel can slosh from the front vent tube and dump right into the carb. This can either cause the engine to stumble or die.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If you launch at a lower rpm like you were at first ,do you still have the problem?Once you get it restarted does it rev cleanly to redline?Does it act flooded when you try to restart (have to hold pedal to floor)maybe cloud of black smoke,and run crappy for a second until you clean it out or do you have to pump it to get it restarted?Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure out if its getting to much gas or none at all.Could it be some weird electrical gremlin,do you have rev limiter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I dont have jet extensions yet but will get some.The peice of rubber tube from vent to vent sounds like a real good idea, I have seen it before on a couple of carbs and didnt know what was for.
When launching at the lower rpm it did not do it but have not had a chance to try it since problem occured. Have launched many times at 5000 and never had the problem. It did seem to be a little flooded when I tried to restart but not something you would not suspect to happen with your foot to the floor and it stalling out. I suffered from bad bog last year due to 3.40 gears but stepped up to 4.11 so I know about bog.
Thanks for the help, I will try some things and test it again at the strip Sunday

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi 65falcon I race at Woodburn, would race at PIR but they dont run the quarter often enough. I live in Tillamook

·
Registered
749 Posts
speaking of jet extensions...I see holley catolog says you need notched floats to use them. Is anyone running jet extensions and getting away with using the standard float?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Tell us Falcon junkies about your car,what kind of times do you run? What kind of tires have you got stuffed under it?I have one all ripped apart and need some motivation to get it on the road again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey frdnut,
Took a peek at your Falcon looks pretty sweet.
A 63 little easier on the pocket book than a 61 since it already came with v8 in it. I had to change over to 63 parts,steering,motor mounts,rearend. Then I stuck a toploader in it, probably should of put a c4 in it, but love to grab those gears. As for tires I use M/T slicks for racing 26x8x15 they just barely fit, would fit better if I put taller shackles but like the lowride look, on the street I run 225 75 14s this helps a little to keep rpm down, since I am running 4.11 gears, around 3200 at 60 as for times the best so far has been a 13.82 with a 60 of 1.91, but still working to get into low 13, car weighs 2700 with full rollcage, yeah a full cage wanted to stiffen up the unibody and have hopes of needing it one of these days. You know the old time and money syndrome. Anyhow the Falcons are quite popular at the strip and everywhere else, I always get alot of looks when I am out cruisen, You can hear it before you see it headers and purple hornies sound sweet.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Im going to try to get up to one of the test and tuns at Woodburn soon. I'm going to fire up tomorrow with the new C4 in it. Its been down 1.5 weeks. I'm sure I'll run into you sometime.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
My car was originally a 170 six banger with 2 speed auto,so I had to change everything over as well.When I ran it at the track I had like P-185-14 radials on it so it didn't hook too good.My trap speeds were right around 100mph and I could barely get stopped with cheesy 4 stud drum brakes on the front.I used a c-4 because I got a good deal on a built one and didn't have a toploader at the time but I like to rip the gears as well.Was it hard to swap in the toploader?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The toploader was a tight fit had to cut floorboard a little, the tailshaft was a mustang style with the mounting holes at the back. Had to fabricate a tranny mount and cut out tunnel hump framework to get it to fit properly, all in all if your handy with your hands and can weld it is fairly easy. Probably the hardest part was the zbar it is a real bear to line up and snake it through the headers.Doug Thorleys headers fit without any adjustment didnt even have to lift the engine to get them in. Only 1/8" clearance on drivers side though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts