Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding the Holley in my boat and I can't seem to remember how to set up the proper power valve. I guess I've been playing with Carter/Edelbrock carbs for too long.

Anyway, the carb is a marine 600 vac secondary and the valve that was installed has 45 stamped on it. The new valve in the kit has 50 on it. From what I remember these both seem very low.

Isn't there a rule of thumb for power valves based on vacume at idle? I think the engine pulls about 18" at idle.

Also, the main jets have 662 stamped on them and the secondary metering plate has 59 stamped on it. I thought Holley jets had a two digit code on the mains. Hmmmm.

BTW- the engine is a 351W, Stealth intake, 10:1, Performer RPM cam, 2.02/1.60 valves and ported heads.

Any input or advice would be apreciated.

Thanks!

JC - '68 Fastback

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JC on 5/18/02 10:26pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The 662's are close tolerance jet # 66's. I wouldn't have a clue have to set a power valve for a boat motor. For a street car it would be a bit low.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hottarod.

I guess I'll have to hit the water with a vacuum gauge and a handful of jets and springs and go from there. I think I've been missing out on a lot of power with the way this carb has been set up - it seems to be tuned way too lean.

BTW - Nice car! I'm in the process of building a very similar engine for my '68. I was wondering how you like the Vic Jr.? I already bought one (and a 650DP) but I'm thinking that a Stealth/RPM might work a whole lot better on the street.

I guess with a 4500 stall converter you aren't too worried about losing a few ft/lbs. of torque, are you?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Take some spare gaskets and a good fire extinguisher, LOL.

I could stand to have my torque come in a bit earlier or more stall. My best 60 foot has only been a 1.81. I have only run the Victor Jr on this motor so I have nothing to compare with. I would like to try a Weiand Stealth with no other changes and see what happens but that is not too high on my list. It might have been a better intake for my setup but the Victor Jr seems to be fine too.

I need some better headers and it looks like I'm at the limit on my carb. I'm thinking about trying one of those Proform main bodies and see how it does.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
try to get the larges power valve that you can, and it still be closed at idle. That way, as soon as you mash the throttle and vacuum drops, the power valve is open, hence quicker response. I'd go with a 10.5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts