Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Man, I am not cheap when it comes to my cars, but that seems like A LOT of coin to drop on a quad headlight system. If they sold them at pairs for that price, I might consider it. I just ran halogens through a good relay system and they work great.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Man, I am not cheap when it comes to my cars, but that seems like A LOT of coin to drop on a quad headlight system. If they sold them at pairs for that price, I might consider it. I just ran halogens through a good relay system and they work great.
They're sold individually. Maybe probably not worth it for something that gets driven after dusk maybe twice a year, but if you're doing it a lot in an old car it's nice not to rely on dinky candles bolted to your front end.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think you'd find some quality halogen bulbs run THROUGH a relay provide adequate lighting, but yeah...the stock glow bulbs weren't great for night time driving.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think you'd find some quality halogen bulbs run THROUGH a relay provide adequate lighting, but yeah...the stock glow bulbs weren't great for night time driving.
I put 90/120w halogen bulbs in my Saab with Hella h4 conversion beams. High and low beam are relayed from the factory. It's decent, much better than the standard sealed beams, but still nothing stellar compared to.. any new car coming the other way.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You mean the new cars that blind you with their "low beam" headlights? ;)

I did Hella H4 conversion on my 83 Volvo 240, (with yellow rally lights instead of high beams...it was rallied, not daily driven). It was much better than stock, but I never expected it to be like new car.

But still, this is a lot of money for a quad headlight setup, imo.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dang! High dolla! Would be nice to have something better than stock that also draws less current to utilize the stock wiring. I love the look of the traditional halos though and don't do much of any night driving, although I would if I could see and didn't have to worry about current draw along w/ an E-fan. This the only game in town?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
There are many headlight conversion housings available. The thing with the Holley pieces seems to be that the housing shape is much closer to a stock sealed bead lamp, so the bucket does not need to be modified to accept housing. These may be as close to drop in as it gets. DesertXL has some details on what was required to install headlight conversion housings into their cars with modifications to the mounting buckets.

Reactions: Jackal

·
Registered
353 Posts
It is a lot of money for sure, but having spent almost half my career managing product development and manufacturing of LED lighting I think they have done a good job keeping the costs down. There is a surprising amount of design required to make a functional LED headlight that will last. Reflector and lens design, heat sinking, thermal monitoring, LED drive control, internal power supply, weather sealing, vibration and shock tolerance, etc. I see they have DOT molded into them so they must have designed for legal compliance and then tested to verify. It looks like a nice product from what I can see.

That said, I have two concerns. They mention PWM, which stands for pulse width modulation. This is a common way to control LED lighting intensity. Basically you pulse the LED so fast that the human eye doesn’t recognize the flashing but the average intensity is reduced. The potential problem is that we are more sensitive to flashing in our peripheral vision, and when the flashing source is moving. Could be a problem for other drivers around you. This can be mitigated through design and control choices - hopefully they did that well.

Second concern is performance over time. LEDs last much longer than a filament lamp but the intensity does decrease with use. Degradation is even faster if the heat is not managed. I would like to see if they have any data showing performance of their assembly (not just the individual LEDs) over time.

I’m not saying they have issues with either of these things. Just something I would want to know more about before I spend hundreds of dollars.

- John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts