Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 750 d.p. that I put on a proform main body. But I think that this problem was there before I did the main body change (it was years ago). I had the engine dyno'd so I know wide open throttle the air/fuel is right where it makes the power and is Plenty safe. Problem is cruising. Even just sitting there, if you open the throttle to "off ide" circuit, you can see the fuel dumping in and the motor actually kind of burbles. Thing smells WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY gassy. TERRRRRIble fuel mileage. Is this off idle circuit in the main body or is it in the metering blocks??

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
which side is it dumping out of? What are both the power valve numbers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
408 windsor with vicjr heads, perf rpm intake, mild hyd roller, 1 5/8 headers. 2.5 hg p.v. When you open the throttle just past idle, you can see it just running in from the primary side.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
How old are the metering blocks/screws? If they get worn, they stop metering fuel flow and you get a rich condition. Also, the air bleeds could be plugged, floats sunk, etc. etc.

I'd imagine you've tried tuning it all that you could. If you turn the idle screws in all the way does it die?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, bigger carb if I could afford it. Metering blocks are REAl old. Floats are fine. Air bleeds are not plugged. Could they be too big of air bleeds? I am running whatever the proform body came with.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
The proform DP body is meant for use on a four corner idle baseplate. If yours is a front idle, that's part of the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts