Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering which is the most popular carb for the Ford 460 engines, I have an Edelbrock 750 CFM #1407 on my built 460 and have been told I should go Holley 800 CFM, Opinions or comments welcome.

Bill Bailey

·
Registered
92 Posts
On 2006-07-02 21:26, billbailey wrote:
I am wondering which is the most popular carb for the Ford 460 engines, I have an Edelbrock 750 CFM #1407 on my built 460 and have been told I should go Holley 800 CFM, Opinions or comments welcome.

Bill Bailey
They are both good choices for a big motor like yours. The AFB will be more trouble free, the Holley will make more power but will require more fiddling around to keep it going.

It is all in what you want to do with it. The AFB you have in hand will be a good carb, the base calibration of the 1407 will be a good one for the 460, the ony thing might be your power springs, they need to be tailored to your cam. If the engine makes 15+ hg at idle and is geared fairly low for its weight, a heavier power spring is called for. If it is geared tall and makes less vacuum then lighter ones are needed.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I have to agree with 65460.

You will need to do some adjusting on any carb. Even if you do not want to mess with the jetting there are many things that you may need to do to any carb to make it work "right".

Most people slap it on set idle and lean it out a bit and go.

Then you have the fuel bowls. Holleys can hold alot more fuel then an Edelbrock. You will run out of fuel in an edelbrock way before you would a holley (a center hung bowl that is).

We had a edeljunk on our 65. It seemed to be working to hard to get moving. Holley 650 fixed it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
65460, Thanks for the web page I put it on the desk top. I appreciate all your input. I will keep my eyes open for further opinions on this, thank you all.
Bill Bailey

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like the Holley too, but what I mean is that the AFB is carb that once you tune it, you can go for years without messing with it again. A lot of years. And you can let them sit more without worrying about the gas in them.

I won't argue about how well the Holley can be adapted to any combination. What I mean by fiddling is kitting it up every couple of years. On the AFB there's really nothing to replace but the jets and rods if they wear into one another. My trouble areas on the Holley are the needle and seats, and if the anything on the carb was overtightened. Oh, and aftermarket kits. They suck! I use Holley kits and parts only.

I have tuned Qjets too and made them work really well. Maybe I'm just weird, but I like all kinds of carbs. If you already have a 750 AFB I just don't see alot of reason to change unless you can't get it to tune to your combination.

As far as bigger goes, I won't argue there either. An 850DP is my race carb of choice even on little motors, and if you opt for annular boosters it will work really nice on the street. Its really if you are looking for a little more power and don't mind the maintenence. Just buy a new one and be really careful tightening things, because you can turn one into a piece of junk pretty quick. If you do mess up and warp it, a belt sander and some detail work will put it back.

I don't want to bristle here, but I don't just throw carbs at things. I find solutions both in and out of the box to a person's driving needs. I've been doing it since I was a little kid, old stovebolts and flatmotors that didn't get a new shiny carb in a box. A carburetor is just bucket full of holes, not black magic. Its a simple engineering discipline, based on solid science that will get a carb to meet your needs. Regardless of the name on it as long as it is within a tuneable range for your combination. Consistant performance and trusting the thing to not leave you stranded or burn your car to the ground figure in there too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BillBallinger on 7/4/06 6:20pm ]</font>

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Holley. Actually a 850 has been proven to give you 20 more HP over a 750 CFM carb. I've had Holleys since 1973. Never had to "work" on them that much as everyone says. But when I did want to play with them they were very easy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Go with the HOLLEY have you tried the street avenger 770 or 870 both are v/s unless your looking for a double pumper

my experience edelbrock carbs suck right out of the box every one I know who runs them always have tuning issues.
Holleys are pretty much easy to tune & work on other than
setting the float, a/f ratio & idle, the only other thing to "mess with" are the power valve & jets if they even need to be messed with & if your not sure how to Read the info
thir not hard to tune or work on at all

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 427sidewinder on 7/5/06 12:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just finished a troublesome chase with the Demon carb on my 331. (the whole demented tale is on the FM Stroker forum under 331dog)

Simply put, replacing the Demon 650 and Typhoon mid-rise manifold with a matched pair of Edelbrock pieces solved my engine troubles. In retrospect, my biggest problem involved getting the shop to believe the car wasn't running right. They kept wanting to make minor adjustments.

Maybe I'm too nice a guy, but when the car finally stranded me, I insisted they swap out the carb and intake. Right out of the box, problem solved. There's still some fiddling to do, but the 66 Gal lives!

Moral of the post: educate yourself as to what piece does what, go for name brand parts, look over the new parts for quality finish work (reject sloppy parts), and tune the seat of your pants to recognize when things are right and when they are not.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
It really depends on what your trying to do with the car? I got an 850 Holley on my comet, and a 1407 Edelbrock on my Ranchero. Both of these car put out 400+ HP. I drive my cars daily and cross country, from my experience I have to adjust the rick/lean adjustment screws on the Holley about every +/- 15 degrees or so and never have adjusted the Edelbrock since I first tuned it out the box (No matter which part of teh country I am driving in). I perfer Holley for the performance and competittion, I perfer Edelbrock for the ease of maintenance and gas mileage.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again friends, I am getting some really good ideas from what you all have said, I guess one reason I asked the above question was due to an article I read in one of the engine magazines about the dyno results of the engine builders contest between many brands of engines and it seems the holley was a dominent carbureter in some of these engines that were making large amount of horsepower on 91 octane pump gas. I am using my car mostly for semi dailey
street use but plan to run it in the anual drags they have here once a year. I appreciate each and every one of your thoughts and opinions. Thanks again and Happy 4th to you all.
Bill Bailey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: billbailey on 7/5/06 1:21pm ]</font>

·
Registered
120 Posts
just finished the Proform mainbody upgrade to a beat up doble pumper... and it wins hands down... wish my Edelbrock had the power this one does.. but i will say that it was a good crusier's carb easy install ... after a couple hours of messing with the hollpro it still needs some tweeakin ... but im not really a carb guy so im learning as i go but gobs.. did i mention GOOOBS more power... thruout the band..

my opinion if ya wanna outta the box good average use carb the Edelbrock's ok...

mine may have been a loner but it worked for me .. holly proform alot better tho....

each persons needs differ and as im learnin so does ones ability to tune LOL

·
Registered
981 Posts
Whatever you do, stay away from Demon's from what I've seen. Edelbrock makes good carbs, but I'm partial to Holley's. I'm not too experienced with them, just going by what others say. A Demon came back from the factory after warranty work with extra screws lodged somewhere they aren't supposed to be. WTF was that about?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have decided that if I was to get a new carb it would likely be the Holly Street Avenger 870 CFM # 0-80870 sells for $435.95 at Summit. Since I have a C-6 it has vacuum secondary's and would be versatile for the street I think??? I am more interested in the power aspect of this car rather than fuel economy since there are few ford boys in this old town I feel like I must represent the Fords the best I can. I am always getting comments from fellow cruisers that love the sound of my 460. Thanks for your input friends.
Bill Bailey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: billbailey on 7/18/06 6:38am ]</font>

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think you made a good choice with the 870. With your motor it should make a bunch of power.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I have a 670 Street Avenger on my 289. No problems so far, I especially like how easy it is to change the secondary springs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got in touch with Rick at Holley and gave him my specs on the car and engine and he said " I would go with part # 0-80870 (870 cfm) Street Avenger" Thanks Rick and you all, I will let you know if I make a change. I have decided to first enlarge my fuel line in and from the tank to 1/2 inch aluminum first. Take care all.
BIll Bailey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: billbailey on 7/20/06 2:26pm ]</font>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts