Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Home made reverse manual

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  cmf60 
#1 ·
There have been from time to time questions about building a manual valve body at home. Well I built a reverse manual at home it was a lot of fun. From my experence I would never try it again. It only cost about $10 to do, but it took about eight hours including the planing. My sugestion to anyone wanting to try it SPEND THE $200 ON A PA. You could also buy the kit from Jay if you must do it yourself. JMHO

P.S. don't bother asking me how to do it cause I won't tell you. I wouldn't want to put anyone through what is involved.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Freddie on 10/25/06 10:28am ]</font>

See less See more
#6 ·
That looks very much like a copy of a popular brand VB. What about mods to i think it's the valve beside the pressure reg valve which is plugged off? Also there is a hole drilled through the top of the upper valve body in the lower area beside the blue dot. What other mods other than the cutouts?

#7 ·
On 2006-10-24 19:27, Freddie wrote:
There have been from time to time questions about building a manual valve body at home. Well I built a reverse manual at home it was a lot of fun.

P.S. don't bother asking me how to do it cause I won't tell you. I wouldn't want to put anyone through what is involved.
I'd guess no engine braking in 1st?
Thanks for posting pics, now I can check and odd VB I've in my parts bin.

Is Jays kit better than a -3 kit?

More info? Thanks.

#8 ·
I just did a Jays kit. Cost $75 and took me all of 20 minutes to mill the 4 channels that needed cut. Shifts very firm although I went a bit overboard on the optional pressure relief washers and ended up with 300+ lbs of line pressure so I'll have to drop the pan and remove the washers to get the line pressure down before I do much dragstrip flogging. Cant race till april anyway.. I would and will use one of his kitd again.Simple and well thought out and no 2-3 flare .

#9 ·
Anyway to make a Manual Reverse with engine braking in 1st?

Anyone? (thanks)

On 2006-10-31 00:12, mikeandnatasha wrote:
I went a bit overboard on the optional pressure relief washers and ended up with 300+ lbs of line pressure so I'll have to drop the pan and remove the washers to get the line pressure down before I do much dragstrip flogging.
Have more info or a link I missed while searching? Thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MisterN on 11/1/06 8:29am ]</font>

#10 ·
Now that is cool.. Sweet work i think..
How would you then set it up for a trans brake?

#14 ·
The -3 kit from TransGo is reversible - you can undo the manual and put it back to auto. I don't think you can do that once you start cutting passages. The 1970 Maverick came with a manual valve body - its not as hard as you might think - so long as you don't want a reverse pattern.
Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.