Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 mustang with a 302. It has a mach 1 hood on it(with the fake ram air scoop). I was wondering if it would help me to cut out a hole where the scoop is to give my engine cold air? Would i have to rejet carb? And what about water going inside of hole when it rains? Would it run bad on cold mornings? All info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks,
Allan

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I put the same scoop on my 68 with a cutout.Didn't do a whole lot for performance at first but now I have it sealed to the carb and it has picked up a couple of tenths using a G-Tech.I'm anxious to get it to the track and compare with my old times.If you don't seal it to your carb I can't see the cold weather bothering it.Maybe your could make something up to block it off for the rainy days.I don't think the rain would hurt it either but it would make a mess of a nicely detailed engine compartment.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I did my 73 Mach1 ... Post is on "Garage" ... I can make pics available ... Mine is similar to the 5.0 set-up not using the hood scoops ... clearly improved acceleration.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I put a snorkel on my 70 coupe I noticed an immediate difference. It's almost like a cheap turbo because it doesn't kick in right away. After you get to about 30 mph or so it makes a significant difference. Also, if you don't want to seal the scoop to the carb, try a K&N X-treme top for your air cleaner. That way even when you plug the scoop you'll still be getting air around the sides of the air cleaner.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I used a dual snorkel aircleaner from an 85 GT with K/N and some dryer duct running from the front of the car up past the core support into the aircleaner and picked 3 tenths average and 3 MPH. This is compared to just running the car with out anything on the carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts