Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally picking up my '67 mustang after having a 351w installed but he said the hood is close to two inches from closing. It's got a Performer RPM intake. I think the air cleaner is a 3 inch. I really want to keep my stock hood. Should I go with just a Performer intake since it's lower or lose the 3 inch air cleaner? Any suggestions or remedies?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Do you have the maximum drop base air cleaner that you can find?I also think you could go with a little smaller air filter,maybe a two inch with that new top that k&n makes that allows it to breathe through the top as well.Last trick I can think of is raising your hood hinges which will raise the back of your hood for that 60s racer look,but the look is not for everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I plan to have a 351W in my 67 too(using the performer rpm). I know a few people who have them. The rpm will fit you just need a drop base air cleaner and to take out your carb spacer. K&N makes full drop base cleaners that should work just fine. Go lowest possible since it still might rub some. Another thing you can do if you want to keep the more stock look but dont mind a different hood is go with the shelby short hood. That will give you about an extra 1 1/2 in to work with and will give great air flow to your filter.

Mathew

·
Registered
65 Posts
Either you lose your stock hood or look for a filter that will fit. Don't swap the Performer RPM for a Performer. You will lose considerable amount of performance.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The Performer RPM is only about .75" taller than the Performer, but will give you a lot more "umph" above 6000 RPM's!!

I had to go to a 1.5" tall air cleaner with a K&N Extreme top....Works GREAT and I have about .25" clearance now!!

Larger "drop base" air cleaners will work well also........I couldn't use one because my hood scoop is too narrow.

Good Luck,
Cobrajack

·
Registered
45 Posts
you can run a pretty small air cleaner without losing any measureable performance. I have a drop base with a 2" K&N and the lid nearly hits the tip of the holley choke. it was all that would work with the manifold I wanted to use, and it runs the same with the filter off. Also see the last issue of car craft. their big mopar i think it was made the same power numbers with a ridiculously small VW looking filter as the popular tall ones.
Matt

·
Registered
38 Posts
if you are running a msd or duraspark style cap, the 14" cleaners with the drop base sometimes run into the distrubutor. go to your speed shop and test fit a max drop base filter. also if your choke assembly is intact a 2" filter with the extreme lid might interfere with the choke mechanism. the xtreme lid is about 1/4" thick. go test it out and you will see.

·
Registered
314 Posts
For a long time I ran the Ford Motorsport 13" breather with a 2.25" K&N. It has a drop base and cleared the hood even with a Vic Jr intake. Barely. Also cleared the large cap MSD distributor. That breather is still available for ~$32. If anyone is interested I have the part #'s for the proper 13" K&N elements. Had to research those as a 14" is most popular.

Last summer I added a Boss 429 scoop that I made functional. Dropped the 2.25" K&N ands went to a 14X3 K&N.
before:

after:

Later,

David Cole

·
Registered
355 Posts
Anybody have a line on special motor mounts to drop the engine? I have the same problem, 351W, Vic Jr in a 68. Haven't even tried to put the hood on yet - it's obvious that this will be a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts