Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at intakes for an '86 tbird, with 351W, probibly going with a single plane intake, but don't know if the hood will fit with a torkerII or VicJr.. Looking for power between 2500 and 5500.. Thought I'd ask before I start looking to hard. Anyone know what the height will be with one of these?? Will it fit under the hood..??

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I wouldn't recommend either of those intakes for the power range you want.I'd go with a good dual plane,like the performer,performer rpm,Stealth etc,If you go to edelbrocks website they give measurements of the intakes so you can figure out roughly how high they'll sit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just curious but what about a small carb and dual carb intake for a 351w..? Any idea's or would most of the fuel be going out the pipe.?

The hood will most likely need to be 3" cowl, the look pretty good anyhow. So much for hiding the power.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Sorry I'm not sure if you mean dual carbs or dual plane intake.I would stay away from the dual carbs unless you really love the look from a show car standpoint.From the rpm range you gave before, an edelbrock performer should work good for you along with a 600 or 650cfm carb for decent mileage and hassle free tuning.You might even be able too squeeze this under the stock hood or maybe just add a early 80s mustang scoop or something if your going for the stealth look
Some more details of your combo would be helpful.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 7/12/02 12:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well so far, what the game plan is.. The car is an '86 Tbird, with 3.8L/auto, 7.5 rear, stock.. The transformation will be a 351W, auto/t5 if availability is there, and an 8.8" with either 3.23 or 3.54 and locker. Since I have it sitting around anyway.

I'd doing the engine for mid level hop up, cam, intake, carb, headers, exhaust, try to find a good set of stock heads unless the money fairy drops by soon.

Then setup the cars suspension, subframe connect's, etc. I'm looking for a sleeper, and power with milage. If it happens to get good milage it's a bonus.

Probibly lower the car 1.5 to 2 inch if possible, and stiffen up the stabilizers for cornering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts