Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 Mustang LX that my son and I built a complete new engine. The engine has new Energy Suspension motor mounts and a Holley Systemax II intake. We had to use 1.5" spacer between the upper and lower intake in order to clear the valve covers since taller covers were used due to rocker girdles.

The question is has anyone used a Systemax II with a spacer and if so what type of cowl hood, how many inches, was necessary in order to provide proper hood clearance? Any help would be useful. Cervinis could not really lend any advice and suggested checking a forum.

Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i also have an 88 lx and bought a 3" cowl,if i had it to do over i would make mods to car and cut hole in hood then mesaure cause the 3" cowl looks too tall .since hood is going to be trash anyway,they make 1.5 and 2.0 &2.5 cowls

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would say a 2" would be plenty. The stock hood had what 1/2" inch of rise where the cowl hood would have 2". And I'm sure with the stock hood and no spacer the Holley would have cleared by 1/2" inch or so. So by adding another 1.5" over what the stock hood would be I would think it would work. Or you could get a 2.5" to be safe. As for me I like the look of a 4" or 5" cowl hood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts