Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a source that refurbs hood hinges? Found some on ebay but wanted to cost compare.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I went through this myself and did a lot of research. First, try searching on Ebay for ShyCityAuto. shycityauto on eBay. They've been doing good quality hood hinge restorations for a while now.

Alternately if the rivets, springs and overall integrityof your hinges are OK, you can refinish them yourself.

Starting by wire brushing them clean of loose debris and anything else that may be caked on. Then soak in lacquer thinner to remove any remaining grease and dirt. Go back over with a wire brush and soak again if necessary.

Next, coat them with something like OxiSolv or a phosphoric acid + zinc based product which removes/kills rust. After letting stand for a while, rinse off with water and dry with a clean rag. The final finish should be close to zinc phosphate, which is similar to original color. If you like, you can add matte clearcoat.

If the finish doesn't look good, you can buy a can of Phosphate paint from Eastwood which will provide a very authentic looking finish. Note that the springs should not be painted and instead should be natural grey. If painting the hinges, remove the springs.
Also note that painting the springs is tricky because they need to be spread before paint is applied at all angles. Otherwise the entire surface isn't covered.

Speaking of springs, if by chance you need new ones, they have 25 loops and measure about 7 5/8 from tip to tip. The part number is C5AZ-16789-A. If it helps, here are the hood hinge part numbers:

C5AZ-16796-B (Right hand hinge)
C5AZ-16797-B (Left hand hinge)

Lastly, note that at the factory, Ford never painted these hood hinges. Instead, they processed them in phosphoric acid to protect against rust, then oiled them to stop the chemical reaction and provide lubrication. That's why they originally had a dark greyish color ... and why they attracted dirt and dust over time. Once the oil was dried, they rusted.

Good luck,

Roger

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SMS quote came in bit more than I would have expected at $325 + $25 shipping to refurb mine.:surprise:

·
Registered
250 Posts
SMS quote came in bit more than I would have expected at $325 + $25 shipping to refurb mine.:surprise:
Agree, $325 is not worth it. You're better off getting a used set with good rivets/integrity, then restoring yourself. Nwclassics has a set as do I, perhaps that's another option. Either way, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on restoring hood hinges unless you have some kind of 427-show car or you have money to throw away which judging by your response isn't the case.

Hence, take a look at the alternatives.

To be honest, that's one of the challenges about 1965-66 Galaxies. There are a ton of them around, but not many resto/repro parts. Sure you can get interior stuff like headliners, seat fabric, door panels plus other mechanical and certain body parts (not necessarily cheap), but there's still a huge gap compared with the parts market for Pony cars, GM intermediates and even 1963-64 Galaxies.

That means leaves us 1965-66 Galaxie owners (never mind 1967 who have it even worse) in a situation where we're fending for NOS parts, looking for good used ones or simply restoring our own used parts. NOS can be hella expensive and even good used ones are often listed at insane prices on Ebay. Yet restoring our own, especially trim like bright-dipped aluminum, isn't cheap.

Doesn't make it easy ... never mind cost effective. Another reason why sharing knowledge is a goooooood thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have 2 good used set of hindges for 65-66 galaxie and most other years of ford galaxie and fairlane cars
I know this is several years old but do you still have the hinges ? I may need a drivers side hinge. If so what is your price ?

Thanks

Ron
65 Squire

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ron,

I think the phone number for nwclassics is 406-5432591 (from other posts). I'm not affiliated, just trying to help out. You might get a faster response over the phone.

FYI,

Pat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts