Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a hood scoop for my car, and want to find something a bit different, something kinda understated. Anyone know of a place that offers some unique scoops?

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Summit, mustang vendors

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
On 2006-11-07 04:23, MetalBoys wrote:
it depends on how big of one you want...just make your own...i do...ck this link out

http://www.chopbobnroll.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=175
That is very impressive. I've never seen that in a home grown envirnoment . Got to bookmark that one.

Where do you purchase the plastic sheets. I'm building a full length center console for my Falcon and I could use the plastic.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retyler on 11/8/06 10:17am ]</font>

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just check your yellow pages for plastics....I use ABS...it runs about 25 bucks for 1/8 in 4x8 sheets...1/4 is around 55 bucks for a 4x8 sheet

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
thanks metal boys, I'll start looking locally, 1/8-inch is what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On 2006-11-07 19:10, Matt wrote:
Mustang II. I'm not impressed with what's in summit/jegs
Are you trying to be subtle or do you want some monster snorkel? I guess the Cobra II scoops are too wimpy. Would a factory scoop from a 2000 style Mustang work. They are a bit wider. The biggest challenge I find is to not use a scoop that is too long for the hood, proportionally. Stu

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On 2006-11-07 19:15, retyler wrote:
On 2006-11-07 04:23, MetalBoys wrote:
it depends on how big of one you want...just make your own...i do...ck this link out

http://www.chopbobnroll.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=175
That is very impressive. I've never seen that in a home grown envirnoment . Got to bookmark that one.

Where do you purchase the plastic sheets. I'm building a full length center console for my Falcon and I could use the plastic.
http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/index.html

Here is another vacuumforming site. It is based on Star Wars costumes but the vacuum forming info on the left is really excellent. Stu

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The look I'm after is for something that looks as if it belongs on the car, not something someone riveted to the hood for the heck of it. The car is pretty understated. I dig the idea of making my own out of ABS, BUT, the scoop has to be at least 16 inches wide, and I don't know if that along with the sides for the mold would fit in a normal oven.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
this is entirely different from what Metalboys uses and I have never formed plastic over a mold, but the device we use to reform(bend) pvc schedule 80/40 pipe is a simple box with some high wattage bulbs. You can use heat lamps in the box. The way it works is you insert the pipe through the holes in the ends of the box turn on the lights(switched) heat the pipe, remove it and bend it to the shape you want. So with that principle I'm thinking you could build your own oven any size you want by building a box and heating it with light bulbs for simplicity or using a heating element of some kind. I haven't done this but after reading metalboys post Im going to do a little experimenting. I'm thinking you could use his setup with the vacuum attached to the oven. It doesn't take an extraordinary amount of heat to soften plastic as you may have experienced in a hot vehicle in the middle of the Mojave dessert. The thing I like about his setup is the plastic is softened in its entirety in a uniform manner.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I needed to add a scoop to get enough room to put a decent air cleaner on mine. I wanted something that looked good also. I went with a 1970s Cougar Eliminator style scoop, and am very happy with it.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/hoodscoop.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts