Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought one for a 62 falcon and was'nt impressed! lot's of finish work required.check with HARWOOD.COM and see if they make one for your car. My 2 cent's.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Check with Glasstek and see if they make one for yours. drag79stang got one for his car and was real happy with it. Their number is 630-978-9897.

·
Registered
848 Posts
i bought one for my old ride(73 mustang). got the ram air 3" cowl and it was about perfect,bodyman said it was one of the best he had seen. it was about 5 or so years ago so the quality may not be as good now.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Yes, highly recommend glasstek company for their stuff. Haven't heard ANY bad comments about their products from any of the forums/people I've talked to.
My .002

·
Registered
777 Posts
A buddy got one for his falcon from US Body and it was the straightest part on the car. He was realy impressed the quality of his hood, said it was much better than anything he had ever bought elsewhere, and that included a complete body he had bought from Glastek.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I asked the same question some time ago and got mixed responses about most vendors, I am still looking for a 3" cowl for my 65, and am not sure where to buy from, like you I only want to do it once, if I hear something before you buy I will post.

I will be calling Maier again, I got mixed reviews about them when I posted, but I have noticed that some mustang parts outlets sell them, so I would guess that they are decent and realitively inexspensive. Also I noticed that Mustangs plus sells a carbon fiber unit for around 650$ It only weighs 15 pounds.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. I'll probably make my decision this week.

Keep you posted.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Joe sounds like you might be buying before me, let me know who you bought from, and if you are happy with it. Thanks.

Orville

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got mine from USBody and it is perfect. Get the tech version though not the race version. Race version is thin, rough and less quality. That may be why some say they are rough. Get the tech hood, it is very high quality.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
If at all possible, go to a LOCAL vendor. This way, if it is bad, you don't have to pay $100+ shipping to send it back.

I ordered a cowl hood for my 66 from Maier several years ago. It fits like crap. It cost $400 + $100 shipping. I'm pretty much stuck with it. I think many of these companies ship their worst stuff long distances so people won't bring them back.

My $0.02, your luck may vary.

As far as vendors, I have no idea who's the best. With the newer stuff, Cervini makes excellent products. I wish they made parts for older cars. The hood Mustangs Plus sells is made by Maier. www.unlimitedproducts.com sells a variety of cowl hoods for early mustangs, but I don't know about their quality... but they sure do cost enough.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought one from Maier as did a buddy and both were nice pieces. Finish and fit were great. I asked prior to buying in a different forum and got the same answers. Some guys recomended them, others did not. I guess its a 50/50 shot no matter who you order from. Service was a bit slow tho, I had to call several times prior to recieving.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the input from you guys. I just about ordered the US Body hood yesterday. Just couldn't quite pull the trigger yet. My biggest issue is the quality/fit/finish more than weight and price. I'm probably going with the HD Tech hood (3" cowl). It's 5-6 weeks out so another day or two of procrastinating won't hurt.

Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts