Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I’m looking to purchase a set of headers to fit my 1968 Cyclone 4-speed hard top which I’m installing a 428CJ Stroker into with Edelbrock 16 bolt exhaust flanges.

Looking at the various header types and searching all the various forums for discussion on the topic, I’ve pretty much narrowed down the best choice to be either the Ceramic Coated DOUG’s D625 at $672.99(price on their web site) owned by Pertronix or the Ceramic Coated Hooker 6113-1HKR at $854.95(price on their web site) owned by Holley.

Examining these headers they look identical as do their specs.....are they made by the same manufacture and is their any real difference between the two? Looking at the photos for each it even looks like the same picture with no obvious differences???

Being the DOUG’s are $182 cheaper, does that mean they are cheaper built and don’t fit as well? I want the best fit and quality I can get but am I wasting money jumping to the more expensive Hooker brand?

Does anyone know if the Hooker “Titanium“ finish is better and worth the extra money or is it just some different look?

Does anyone have any experience with both in a similar application? All comments and advice appreciated.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Hooker and Doug's are two different headers but both are quality parts. Because one is more money dosen't mean its better and because one is cheaper dosen't make it a better deal. I personally like Hooker headers but there prices have gone krazy for headers they have made for years. I have them on my 64 and they were the easiest headers I've ever put on, I put them in thrue the top but i happen to know yours are more of a bugger to install.
Good luck witch ever way you go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Call Stan Johnson at Ford Powertrain Application, he made the headers for my 70 Cyclone with a Mustang II front end and they are a work of art.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I’m with slednut!!! I have his headers on my 64 falcon and 68 mustang. Super high quality, they fit great, and tuck up into the frame.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Ford Powertrain. Not bad stuff, and fit good. A buddy of mine put some on the FE stroker in his Comet. He bolted them to the engine, then installed the engine in the car with the headers already on it! You lift the front of the car up, then lift the rear up as well. I've heard you can also do this with some other brands.... but the FPA fit like a charm on his this way. A lot easier than wrestling them on in the car. lol

·
Registered
1968 Torino GT Fastback S Code 390
2 Posts
I have the hooker longtube headers for my 390FE, you pretty much have to pull the engine to install them the clearance is so tight. To remove them to pull the motor I had to lift the motor 6" off the mounts in order to wiggle them out. Just a warning of what you are about to get into. When I re-build this summer I am going to shorty racing headers and ditching the long tube.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts