Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable Christmas and New Year.
i’m thinking of headers for my 63 Galaxie 390, 4 speed.
I’ve been looking at the Hooker long tube headers.
Just wondering if anyone who has installed them on a 63 or 64 Galaxie can provide a review.
1) installation, any mods required on clutch linkage etc?
2) ground clearance?
3) performance?
4) durability?
Thanks
Tom

· Registered
556 Posts
Are these the ones where there are 1-2 tubes on each side that have to go over the frame? A friend and I installed some on my first 1964 Galaxie, back in high school in about 1978, so they might have changed a bit since then. :) No interference with the clutch linkage. They were a pain to install. We were doing it at his house, and he had a pit in the garage so we could work underneath. Besides cutting the inner fenders, we had to loosen the motor mounts and jack up the engine to get them in, and starting the bolts was hard because of the multiple flange pieces. They didn't have much clearance but the car itself was pretty low. Scraped over most railroad tracks. But as a kid I didn't mind too much.

On my "new"/current Galaxie, I went with the eBay shorty headers and installed them when I had the heads off for a valve job, so I guess that's cheating. :)

Pat

· Registered
779 Posts
Although I don't have first hand experiance with a 63 Galaxie, I would recommend FPA Headers. They fit up close to the body and have ball and socket connectors that have two bolt flanges that can be rotated for the best clearance. Hooker SC headers hung very low on my 70 Mustang, the flanges were positioned w/o clearance thought and I had to bend the collectors out to clear the trans. On the other hand FPA header are awsome. New Page 1

· Registered
254 Posts
I had a flashback when I saw the post. I had a 63 Galaxie 406/4sp back in 69 that I installed Hooker headers on. What a nightmare. No matter how high you jacked the engine up or removed things they just wouldn't go in. We had to beat the left side in. Even with the heads off they were still a pain. One good thing was you could snake the clutch equalizer in with the header together with the heads off.. Maybe the design has changed since then but they were difficult to install back then. That said, when when they were installed they worked great, didn't have to bend any tubes for clearance, plenty of ground clearance and they lasted as long as I had the car about 6yrs.

· Registered
539 Posts
I have a set of ebay headers, shorties in stainless. they should fit a 63 since the frame don't have the same interference they had on my 66. I never ran them. pay shipping (40 bucks?) and they are yours, i have zero use for them and they are brand new.

you will need collectors. the fit and welds on them were FAR superior to the Sanderson's i put on for over 4x the money but didnt clear the passenger frame cross member. since the 63 has a different frame should be fine. Just tossing it out there.

· Registered
78 Posts
I have a set of ebay headers, shorties in stainless. they should fit a 63 since the frame don't have the same interference they had on my 66. I never ran them. pay shipping (40 bucks?) and they are yours, i have zero use for them and they are brand new.

you will need collectors. the fit and welds on them were FAR superior to the Sanderson's i put on for over 4x the money but didnt clear the passenger frame cross member. since the 63 has a different frame should be fine. Just tossing it out there.
If Shoovel isn't interested in the shorty headers, I am. I have a 64 Galaxie 500xl with a 390 cruisomatic. Do you know if they will fit a 64? I think it's the same configuration as a 63. I'm planning on putting 2 1/2in. Exhaust on this year, before I get too old to do it. Still have stock manifolds on it. My 3 year old grandson is afraid of my car because the exhaust is so loud. So it's time to fix the exhaust problem. It sucks that they wouldn't work on your car.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey man,
Ya I’m interested in them. You realize I’m in Ontario Canada?

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ship ups though usually. later this week i'll look into it though.
If it makes it any easier on you, I have a warehouse in Niagara Falls NY that you could ship them to and hopefully in a couple months when this virus subsides and the border is fully opened, I could run down there and pick them up. Let me know what works best for you.
Thanks again,
Tom

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a set of ebay headers, shorties in stainless. they should fit a 63 since the frame don't have the same interference they had on my 66. I never ran them. pay shipping (40 bucks?) and they are yours, i have zero use for them and they are brand new. you will need collectors. the fit and welds on them were FAR superior to the Sanderson's i put on for over 4x the money but didnt clear the passenger frame cross member. since the 63 has a different frame should be fine. Just tossing it out there.
Hey there how’s it going? My name is Chad and I have a 63.5 Galaxie Fastback and I am looking for some headers. Do you still have them. This is my number: 321-626-0610 this is my email: [email protected] Please contact me when you get a chance

1 - 18 of 18 Posts