Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can’t you guys post your results after the repair? You come here asking questions because you’re having problems and want free advice, people go way out of there way to help and that’s as far as it goes. The posts fade away and we never no what the solution was. I mean 3 or 4 pages of possible solutions; you have everyone’s attention and then nothing WTF. Stop being so greedy and give it up!!! We could all learn something…….

My 2 cents………

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree completely!
Also, hi guys its been over two years since I have been on.
But im glad to be back.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Welcome back!
Do you have any problems to report as fixed?
hehehehehe. Just kidding.

I think this issue has more to do with internet etiquette than anything. It's different than face to face help, even though it is the same thing.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
As someone who has asked for advise ...

Then having been roundly critisized for doing what I did ...

Then being accused of thinking I was a know-it-all for doing something other than what was advised by "someone, could be anyone."

And also along those lines ... you get a big project going and post a running tally of progress and folks get offended with the size of the thread and the minushia about and relating to the project ... maybe some even get intimidated because you could tell from their advise, they had never seen and did not know what you are actually doing ... especially if it happens to be a long standing member of sorts ... Then you announce that what you did worked out great ...

Moral to the Story is: ...

Just understand there is a point at which ... responses after the fact ... can turn into "Opening A Can Of Worms."

The thread relating to the car and motor swap shown below is a prime example.

Hope I didn't open a can of worms ... but be careful what you ask for ... all folks on a board like this aren't so open minded at all times ...

Been there ... done that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 10/21/06 8:37am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
One issue that I can see is I may ask a question, and I am not able to solve it for a while either due to time or money. So when I do solve the issue that thread is so far back I can't find it. I do agree, if possible let everyone know how it went.

·
Banned
864 Posts
I agree also.
I have posted in the 05 GT Tech area as well as other places.
Links to my website with details and pictures.
And many how to's here.
Seldom if ever do I get a response that it was helpful or anything else.
The I-Net has become a "I will sell this" load of bunk.
C-Mon people we can change that; even if only here and there.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
One thing you will seldom get a guy to admit...after calling the shop or complaining to the crew that his toy is broke or his car won't start. He finds out that he forgot to put the plug back in the socket, check for batteries or check for loose wires.

He'll swear that he checked all those things. But its funny how after asking them a few simple questions, if they they checked ...really checked some basic things .... you never hear from them again.

"fess up...we all would rather lose an above the waist limb or appendage; rather than admitting to a dumb mistake... unless someone else admits to it first.

I think we have candidate for another provisional "Man Law".

Of all the rest..."There are three faithful friends, an old wife, an old dog, and ready money..."-- Benjamin Franklin, 1738 --10/21/06 9:40am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 10/21/06 9:42am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Beoweolf Wrote:

"We all would rather lose an above the waist limb or appendage; rather than admitting to a dumb mistake."

------------------------------------------------------

And I have done that before too

I will add ... I'm not saying no one should ever "Report Back"

I'm just saying ... it ain't always that simple

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 10/21/06 10:08am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
On 2006-10-20 14:57, 393Clevor wrote:

Why can’t you guys post your results after the repair? You come here asking questions because you’re having problems and want free advice, people go way out of there way to help and that’s as far as it goes. The posts fade away and we never no what the solution was. I mean 3 or 4 pages of possible solutions; you have everyone’s attention and then nothing WTF. Stop being so greedy and give it up!!! We could all learn something…….

My 2 cents………
Well, that goes both ways too. I've seem guys come back on here when they get their problems fixed and nobody even acknowledges it...it doesn't happen ALL the time but I've seen it.
You'll see a post, for example "Finally found the problem!" and the you'll see that 50 people "viewed" the thread but NOBODY says crap.
Again, this doesn't happen alot but I've seen it happen.

Also, sometimes, by the time some people get the problem figured out and return to post about it, the thread is 7-8 pages back. Most guys only read the threads on the first page and that's it and any past problems of others are usually long forgotten.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Got my vote Clevor. It's nice to know what worked and sometimes better to know what didn't. Save us from making the same mistakes and learning from all the knowledge that others have to share. Many times we each have or own field of expertise and the skills of others have helped me also. Just reading someone else's ideas is worth it's weight in gold.

·
Registered
237 Posts
ditto here on that clevor besides is there any aussie made 302 intakes down there i dont want another parker 302 manifold that last one i had was a piece of junk does anyone make one down there besides them ?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
One thing that bugs me a bit more than not hearing about the fix is when someone joins the board the post number 1 is looking for info etc.
People reply with said info or help and then NOTHING! You're not even sure if they read it. You figure someone looking for info would come back to read it? At least just post " Hey thanks, I'll try that!" etc. Otherwise the respondents just start saying "what the heck, why bother?" Stu

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
what i like is when someone ask a ??? about USING/DOING WORK ON a set of stock heads,the first reply out of someones mouth is, "WHY DO YOU JUST BUY A SET OF ALUMINUM HEADS".It happens almost every time WTF. Just answer the ????

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 64 TBOLT on 10/21/06 10:45pm ]</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
I dunno but I have asked questions on this forum that I know someone knows the answer to. Get 1 reply that doesn't even remotely come close. Wait patiently for a week, thinking not everybody reads the forums every day, still nothing. Maybe its my deoderant.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
There is an "Art" to asking an effective question, giving a decent answer/suggestion as well as giving feed-back

A effective question is not..."my car is broke, how can I fix it?" Wait 10-15 minutes and complain because no one with ESP gave the correct solution, in the correct format - immediatly. I really love to hear those "Cartman-type" posts, "Screw you guys, I'm going home". That'll learn'em!

Either you get no symptoms to work with or like trying to pull teeth, before you get to the bottom of the real problem.

Then there is the problem of some guys being "testy", when, if you offer advice or ask them what they already tried. Sometimes..that'll get you put on the S*&T list by a lot of folks.

A decent answer is not always the same for every car, every engine or every wallet. We get it, there is a lot of horsepower to be found in the latest "whiz bang", super duper, high flowing head. I figure, if the guy starts out asking what is better for a low-buck, street build - worked 351 heads, Windsor Jr or E7...maybe he can live without aluminum or 2.02/1.65+ valves. I say give him the answer he asked for...then if you have to..., at the end, ask if he intends to step up in the near future? Also, would it hurt to read the answers that were already offered?

I've make this mistake too...instead of reading all those answers, I just respond to the last answer - after assuming someone must have missed the most obvious answer, otherwise - why is the thread still active? While I'm on a rant - I real have to smile at the Po' boy questions that start out with something like...I want 1000hp, money is no object. Someone comes up with a dream wheel combination, then its all about. What if I use a stock block instead of an aftermarket block...can I still rev it to 8000rpm. I know, been there done that when I was in high school, I"built" a lot of 500hp engines by reading a J. C. Whitney catalog too. A fella's got to have his dreams.

Even if the OP, says, "I got it!"...wanna bet that days, weeks, even months later...you can be sure some one will give it just one more answer.

We already covered the problems with feed back. People just don't like to sit down to dinner anymore, it's faster, easier, to just eat and run. Coming here, giving advice as well as asking for it - its like having dinner with the family, if you got kids - you know what I mean. You have to listen to a lot of "and then...", "Why is the sky blue..." and whining about something trivial, before something worth listening to comes along. But you put in the time, cause one day, in quiet moment you may hear something important. Something you would have missed or might not have been said, if you had not put the time in, listening to the crap. Sometimes a high signal to noise ratio has to be tolerated, to get to the message you really wanted to hear. Sit a spell, put on your filters and enjoy the meal.

PS. IF with an occasional Bi*&*h session, this site has less cuss'in, attitude, whining and player hate'in than most - most of the time! Fact is...it don't hurt to come here and read couple of messages. I like the lack of Drama.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 10/21/06 11:59pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 10/22/06 12:08am ]</font>

1 - 20 of 29 Posts