Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

wondering if you can give me some suggestions. I have a 2000 4.6L F150 2x4 sport and need some help in gaining some horsepower or torque to pull a heavier trailer. do you have any suggestion?:frown:

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
To make any changes to your engine torque you will need to get a chip burned for your application or buy a performance chip to replace the stock chip.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
X2.
A programmer with a program burned specific to your application would help maybe 15-20hp/tq. The programmer should also increase the shift points and shift firmness which will help more than the extra power. Some extra gear might help as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
for about the same price as a programmer or custom chip, you can have a local shop (that specializes in differntials) change your gear ratio to a higher numerically gearing which will, in my opinion, help your trucks towing capability far more than any chip or programmer.

depending on what you have as a gear ratio, anywhere from a 3.08 to a 3.73, going up one step from say a 3.08 to a 3.23 or 3.55 would be a huge improvement and since your truck is 2wd there is only one gearset to replace. You can buy gear sets from summit for about $150-200.

here are some suggestions for gear ratio changes (depending on what the current gear ratio is in your truck) A more significant change will result in better towing characteristics for your truck.

3.08 > 3.23
3.08 > 3.55
3.23 > 3.55
3.23 > 3.73
3.55 > 3.73
3.55 > 3.91
3.73 > 3.91
3.73 > 4.11

I will assume that your trucks factory gearing is one of the ratios listed on the left. a higher jump in gear ratio change will give a more significant towing advantage but going to high makes you engine rev excessively at highway speeds (even in overdrive) and you will burn significantly more gas. I am also assuming that your truck has the 4 speed auto overdive and a 29" - 30" tall tire.

figure out what your trucks gear ratio is and let me know.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts