Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, I have a 65 Falcon with a V8 conversion, shorty headers.... It heats up in traffic, it doesn't take but 10 mins in traffic and it's sittin at 200 F... If I open the hood it will idle all day long without getting hotter then 185 F
I have a Aluminum radaitor, 14" electric fan (pusher) a 185F on electric fan switch.... I am thinking there isn't enough room to move the hot air out of the engine bay... has anyone had this problem, or found a soulition to this problem?? I was thinking about cutting some air holes in the inner fenders to allow air to escape. Im a little worried about doing that tho, for the fact, that is a part of the cars structure....

The motor is a 96 302 std. bore
GT40 heads with .600 max lift springs
aluminum preformer RPM intake
Holley 600 65 main Jet 6.5 power valve
MSD ignition system
.500 lift cam .230 duration
165 F thermostat
timing is set on 14 degrees

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HA HA... Oh that was the one thing I forgot to mention.... Its a 4 door and i keep hearing how it looks like granny let me barrow her car... The only give away is "THE" bald tire and a deep growl.. kinda want a stock look.... Maybe I cant have it all

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
How big is the radiator core and how many rows? Is the electric fan all you have for air movement?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a Be Cool unervisal 18x22 3" core 2 row 16 lb. moroso cap on it... Its the only air movement other then a few small bolt holes without bolts... The fan is pushing the air nicely...

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
That radiator will need a lot of air to get it cool in traffic on hot days. You will need at least 3000 cfm fan.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I've got a Cowl Induction hood on mine,
331CI, Mechanical fan without a shroud, a summit brand 2 row aluminum radiator.
165 stat.

and it will run 165 to 170 all day. even with the heat were having.

Try a Mechanical fan.

Jet

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Sounds like a lack of air movement to me too. Trash the electric fan and go mechanical. I have a two row aluminum from Jegs and with a simple fan shroud and Flex Fan it rairly gets to 180 and usually runs in the 165-170 range. Simple, reliable and proven.

John

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you guys fit a mech. fan in there? I got a 80 LTD water pump.. I had to put my fan on the front of rad. because I didnt have 3" to put it on the inside, under the hood

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Here's the best photo I have showing the cooling system.

As you can see you don't need much room for a mechanical fan set-up. I have about 2 1/2" from the water pump to radiator. Just one of the reasons I don't like electric stuff. To get a high flow electric fan that fits in this tight space costs a small fortune and I don't like having to worry about amp draw, fuses or relays going out, etc and getting stranded with an overheated engine.

The key to a mechanical set-up it correct spacing of the fan to the radiator (close but not close enough that it's going to hit obviously) and the fan needs to be partially inside the shroud roughly 2/3's of the blade width. I have about 1/2" clearance between the blade tips and shroud opening. All these tight clearances makes the fan more efficient so the air is pulled through the radiator and can't bleed off around the fan.

I run a 160 degree thermostate but I'm sure even a 180 would work. My engine just loves to run cooler for some reason.

Also, you might notice that there are no lines from the transmission to the radiator. I run a B&M plate type cooler mounted an inch or so in front of the radiator for better air flow and no added heat from the transmission.

John

·
Registered
698 Posts
OOOOOO PRETTY!!!

I agree, proper airflow..

Mine warms up and I dont have a shrowd. I am sure if I did the fan would be extremely efficient.

If your using electric. You may need a pusher and a puller.

But everyone I talked to says the flex fans are the best.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If going electric fan look under all Ford Techboard on here, under Electric fan that guy found a pretty cool dual fan set up that seems to work really well & the dual set up solves the issues with running a single electric, like the Tarus/Sable sinlge fan that is tight against your water pump snout
worth a look for sure.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Also you may want to put Royal Purple Ice in that radiator to cool it down a little bit. It is a weird thing as some engines heat up so much and overheat whereas some others don't have a problem. I have noticed that amongst alot of cars. I am not a huge fan of the electric fans but yes a shroud would help and airflow is important. Remember slow driving amongst older cars always seems to heat them up for some reason.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have the same problem. Strok'in is cranking the heat . Alright more picts. It would idle for about 10 min, had to shut it down. Found the solution to this problem. Brought it up to '200, it's hard wired, cooled right to '180. Shut it down, let the fans run for 2 min started up '150. The car still has not been out of the garage.

F lover,

Your system and work looks awesome. Are you sure the issue isn't something else ? Head Gasket ? Have you checked for gas in the cooling system ? Sure you have been thru all of that, suggesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive been workin alot, and haven't had the time to check the forum... I measured my water pump clerance, I have 1 1/2" to the face of the radiator... Its a pump off a 80 LTD. no part stores had a mustang or falcon pump 1 week to order... I checked the coolent bright green lookin good with no other fluid in it that I could tell... It will climb to 200 and keep going... with the hood open it will idle at 180 all day long.. its not under a load tho..Thanks for all the input.. hope the head gaskets are right... I checked them 3 or 4 times, maybe I still got it wrong.... I just had a thought... I asked for a 80 LTD pump, and a v belt pully bolt pattern worked, is there a chance its a reverse rotation pump with the v belt pattern? thank you guys for all the replies

·
Registered
212 Posts
A puller fan setup will work circles around a pusher. I'd run a mechanical with a shroud or a puller electric setup and abandon the pusher. A small addition that can help significantly is the addition of a "chin spoiler". It doesn't need to be fancy or elaborate, for an example look at the ones on foxbody mustangs........I've seen the difference with and without one on the same combo. A chin spoiler helps to block airflow from the front from going under the car......with the spoiler in place a "negative pressure" area is created on the engine side of the radiator which helps to direct more airflow through it. You could try shifting or offsetting the electric fan so that the electric motor is not directly in line with the water pump, yielding more space. A bottle of "water wetter" or equivalent to the coolant will also help, it's not a gimmick the stuff works. Make sure all the air is out of the system, you may need to raise the front of the vehicle to get the filler neck high enough to burp out all the air.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts