Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 comet and I just put a 88 5.0 in it. I relocated the battery to the truck and as I'm rewiring things I'm now taking power off of the solinoid. My battery was dead so I put my truck battery in it so I could have power while diagnosing a no headlights/tail lights/brake lights problem (the headlight switch is brand new too), but while I was doing the diagnosis I noticed that my alternator and voltage regulator were heating up. Is this a problem and how can I correct it if it is? I really don't want to start a fire in my baby. Thank you very much for any assistance or opinions.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
something is pulling too much current, perhaps the cables running to the trunk.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have a 65 comet and I just put a 88 5.0 in it. I relocated the battery to the truck and as I'm rewiring things I'm now taking power off of the solinoid. My battery was dead so I put my truck battery in it so I could have power while diagnosing a no headlights/tail lights/brake lights problem (the headlight switch is brand new too), but while I was doing the diagnosis I noticed that my alternator and voltage regulator were heating up. Is this a problem and how can I correct it if it is? I really don't want to start a fire in my baby. Thank you very much for any assistance or opinions.
alt. and reg. hot with key off ?

said you were just working on lights

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
You're probably wired wrong, start from scratch and trace every charge wire before getting the batt hooked up again!

There is no reason for the alternator to get hot unless your engine bay is just as hot, that's simply heat sink.

If things start up cold and the alt and reg get hot rapidly, then you need to go over everything or risk burning it all up.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
+1, alt\reg hot w\key off means not wired right.

Poor or no ground to alt\volt reg with engine running will cause overcharge and hot alt\reg.

was engine\chassis ground not maintained during battery relocate?
my question also covers if key on , engine off while working on lights such as signals plus other lights.

·
Registered
780 Posts
If you still have the old mechanical style regulator that could be your problem. Those have contact points in them and they can stick on causing the alt field circuit to be energized all the time.

I believe a newer electronic voltage regulator is a direct bolt-in replacement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it heats up with the key off, just sitting there it heats up, when I run it for a while it almost seems to cool down, but with the engine off they heat up, never like burning hot but hotter than they should be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
+1, alt\reg hot w\key off means not wired right.

Poor or no ground to alt\volt reg with engine running will cause overcharge and hot alt\reg.

was engine\chassis ground not maintained during battery relocate?
I didn't change any wiring for the alt, just moved the battery to the trunk. I made a new ground too but I tested with my multimeter as far away as I could get the leads and they had good continuity with the ground.
The voltage regulator looks really old so it is probably the mechanical type. I might just try putting in an electric one, everything else seems ok to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts