1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about painting the '70 Ranchero like this P47 Thunderbolt:
http://www.fighter-collection.com/p-47d/

Yeah, I know what ya thinking...

But I thought all silver with black/white checker hood, the *no guts no glory* on the doors, the MX-X code just forward of the rear wheel arch, the aircraft serial# stenciled behind the rear wheel arch & maybe a few other details but omit the black/white invasion stripes & star&bar .....or have short invasion stripes above the rear wheel arch?

Have I lost my marbles?
or
??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZRX61 on 1/27/04 10:49pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZRX61 on 1/27/04 10:51pm ]</font>

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don't know, but I think it may be a pretty cool idea! What you might do first is get a picture of the truck first, then do a drawinf of it with the scheme on it, and then see how it looks. Heck, post it here and see how everyone votes on it.
Would kind of be like the theme bikes you see on American Chopper, keep us up to date on the idea!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think its a heck of an idea, it would look pretty sweet. You'll never stop getting comments on the paint job that's for sure. I wonder if just painting the front of the car from say mid fender forward would look better than doing the whole hood and nothing on the fenders?

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
My buddy is doin his 65 cuda in a similar way, With the old nose art from some of the WW2 fighters and such. Think it'll look pretty sweet

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2004-01-29 07:07, blueovalfarms wrote:
And don't for get your name on the door right under the window.
I've worked on Tom Cruises P51 Mustang 3 times in the past 3 years doing the Annual on it. Every time it's gone back to his hangar it's had a "Maverick" decal stuck on it just below the canopy rail.... I thnk the guy who cleans his hangar removes it each time...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup! thats what I'm talking about. That one in the pic is based on the FG that was based at Bodney, can't remember which Fighter Group that was off hand tho(4th?). I'm going with 78th FG which was based at Duxford.

I've thought of one slight difference that I'll incorporate tho: replace the swastika kill markings with Chevy bow ties....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZRX61 on 1/30/04 9:54pm ]</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts