Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is a small amount of work to do so the electrical system can handle a really big alternator I will do it. Looking to add aftermarket sound system and such.

Anyone?

·
Programmer
856 Posts
I'm not quite sure a bigger altenator is required. I guess it depends on how big of stereo you want to run. I've ran two 200watt RMS amps, a 10" sub and two 200watt 6x9's on my 66 before for quite some time. I never needed a newer altenator or blew mine out...

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm sure my current alternator is very old and in need of replacing, I can't have the fan on high and the headlights on together and turn the radio up past half way or the amps cut out and I don't have huge amps in place at the moment.

·
Registered
629 Posts
In my 69 Cougar I ran an 80amp alternator and never had a problem, got the rebuild kit through J.C. Whitney, don't remeber the price, but it was definatly a quality kit ( unlike some other items bought from them
).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just put a PA Performance 95amp alternator on my 71. Great customer service/answering questions. Good instructions on installation. Works great and gives higher amps at low rpm, so great for cruising.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts