1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 Bob Spar and Mort Schuman
#2 hydros
#3 ???
#4 a tourqueflight with a clutch setup

What do I win?

1964 Comet 289 C4/3000 stall daily driver
TFS TW, Weiand Stealth, Comp XE268, Rhodes lifters, TFS roller rockers, Carter 625 AFB, Hooker SuperComps
"These go to 11." -This is Spinal Tap

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dragman64 on 4/14/02 9:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cheated and looked up #3, its Albert Champion.

Ha, now thats 4 out of 4

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heres a trivia question I dont know the answer too:

What was the C/FX class??

6 cylinder or something?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And S/FX would be the supercharged cars? Like Jack Chrisman's blown Comet running nitro??

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AFB = aluminum four barrel

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lincoln had to be the first with a OHV V8 I think?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Good job Walt! Here's one for ya: Who was the first to build a rear engined funny car? Name the car, it's power plant, and the year for bonus points...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doug Nash's Bronco Buster, powered by a 289?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Well, there's a bit of a difference of opinion on this one. Greg Cook says the Hurst Hemi Under Glass Barracuda. It was rear engined, but was still steel and did not have the lift top body. 'Course, as Greg noted, they started calling 'em "funny cars" after the altered wheel base Mopars in the first place. The one I was thinking of was the Cyclone built by Art Chrisman in 66-67. It was a fiberglass bodied, flip-top with a rear sideways mounted SOHC 427. It was driven to the transmission by a huge chain drive. Teething problems could never be solved in the car and eventually it was shelved. I would love to know what ever happened to that car. It was so radical and forward thinking that it's a shame it couldn't be made workable.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, never seen that one before. Do you have any pictures?
I thought of the Hurst Hemi Under Glass, and the Little Red Wagon, but I dont think they would be classified as a "funny car".

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
No, wish I did. Maybe some of the guys on this board who "hoard" old mags could scan us a pic if they have one. How about it Dyno Tom? This car made the covers of both Hot Rod and Car Craft when it was unveiled as I recall. I think Hot Rod had one of those "see through" pics on the cover where it was like the car was under an x ray.

·
Registered
100 Posts
the rear engined FunnyCar would be the 65 Barracuda Tom McEwen drove, it was before the Hemi Under Glass and Nash's Bronco

The Little Red Wagon in 1964 wasn't a funny car but an A/FX, could almost be considered that too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts