Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Soon I will be purchasing some forged pistons for my 351c build and I'm not sure if the cylinders are stock or bored on my 351. Is there a way to tell?

If it is at .030 already I'm going to try to just get it honed (if clearances allow)

If it is anything less I will probably be boring the block to .030 over.

If there is any way to tell the cylinder bore please chime in as I cannot choose the pistons I need till I confirm the bore.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
If it is oversize the pistons should have a stamping that shows it. They should be stamped 030 or 30 or 03 on top near the indexing mark. This is not fool proof because I have seen pistons that were not marked. The one sure fire way to tell if it has been bored is to check the bore with an internal micrometer. failing that you can get a set of "snap" guages and use a 4-5" standard micrometer. If you are going to be building engines these are tools you should have but if this is a one time thing then you might be able to rent the mic from a tool rental place.
paul

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I will go take a look at the piston tops today to see if it is stamped.

Does anybody know offhand what size pin stock connecting rods take? Are they pressed or floating?

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys,

I just went and looked on the tops of the pistons and it says .040.

Not sure If I'm going to replace the pistons right now cuz I don't want to have to bore it anymore than that.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
check to see if you need to bore or just hone a little. ask a machinist if there is any bore taper-

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Feel inside the bore and see if you can feel a "ridge" near the top of the bore. If you can, it will need bored, which means you will prolly have to bore it another .020 and get .060 pistons.

You are going to take the block to a machine shop to get it hot tanked and checked out....right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts