Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How close is too close (brake line to header)?

I'm installing a 95 Cobra M/C (ports on passenger side).

I'm using 1+3/4 SuperComp headers, and # 7 tube passes fairly close to the master cylinder, I will have about one inch between one of the lines and #7. Is one inch enough?

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I would say no - not without a good heat shield or barrier. Since the fluid does not move and just sits there and cooks, it's a bad situation for carbonizing that one spot. The best reference I have is a local car that lost the right-front brake after about 15k miles due to the same reason, and his line crossing the firewall was about 2.5" from a header tube. When he re-ran the lines, he came out the ports, made a hard turn to the back, across the back of the reservoir, and then down. Looked good with a simple bracket off the MC mount bolts and kept it all clear.

BTW - he had weird braking issues for months and couldn't put his finger on it until he lost the RF (pulled hard left when stopping and pulled right when leaving) and couldn't get more than a fast drip when he tried to bleed the new parts.

David

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
David , sounds like that guy (example) had more than a hot brake line problem . bad flex (rubber) line I'd say. something was keeping the fluid from retuning to the M/C . hot fluid won't stop the return

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I think David was saying the brake fluid was baked in that area, turned to carbon and was causing some blockage.

When I first went to a Hyd clutch setup my flex line was to close to my headers. After the car had been running for awhile my clutch wouldn't release. Also the fluid turned black after only maybe a hour of run time total. This was with all new parts.

I've changed my setup a little, new routing and also the flew line is now covered with heat shielding material I picked up at the local Earls tubing shop.

Jet

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I think David was saying the brake fluid was baked in that area, turned to carbon and was causing some blockage.
Yep. Slow apply and slow return.

David

·
Registered
837 Posts
In all of the areas where trans or brake lines come close to my headers, I wrap them with .5" fiberglass insulation, and then wrap that with some metal flashing and secure it with hose clamps.

In other places I make a flashing-fiberglass-flashing sandwich and cut it to whatever shape I need, like between my headers and master cylinder. My starters get a wrapping of fiberglass and a wrapping of flashing secured with big clothes dryer vent clamps. The flashing provides a radiant barrier and secures the fiberglass, while the fiberglass helps block heat conduction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts