Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am VERY seriously considering the engine swap that i've been mentioning.
for refresher 80something efi5.0 vs 74 carb302
anyway.... i was told that if i didn't want to go to the hassle of efi conversion that i could just swap the manifold? put the performer/ebrock carb ontop of the efi'd motor i mean.
HOW CLOSE will it be to "bolting" in.... i have to change the sump for the oiling system i think? how bout the differences in balancers or somethign? will my "old" stuff, say power steering pump/starter/whatever go onto the "new" engine? or would it be easier to pull EVERYTHING out of the new car and put that in the maverick? my headers would still fit correct?
THANKS GUYZ!!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Your biggest problem will be that the newer engine is balanced differently than your 74.If your using the tranny and flywheel that came with the 80s engine its no problem.If your trying to use the flywheel off of the 74 you will have to get a new flywheel or have your old one rebalanced.The rest of it should be straight forward although I can't say for sure if the boltholes for the power steering etc in the front of the heads are exactly the same but they should be close enough to make work.Yes your headers should fit no problems.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You're better off using the serpintine system that comes on the engine, it's a cleaner look. You'll have to figure out something for a fuel pump. If you don't change the damper or flexplate/flywheel, you'll be ok.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You could use the mechanical fuel pump with your old timing cover. Also the dipstick on the new motor should be on the side of the pan, which you wont be using. So I think you would have to run the old cover for that reason too. What year is this motor??

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the newer motor is.. i wanna say 83? i'm not positive on this but i can check tomorrow seeing as i work with the fellow...

what about stuff like teh distributor and dist. gears? chilly was mentioning something about those too? i'd like to have a pretty "clean" look in my bay, so i wouldn't mind using the serpentine setup from the 80motor....

man... i dont know enough to be jumping into stuff like this!!!

thanks guyz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts