Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please tell how i can figure out the code on a C4 to tell me what year it is?

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
C8 is '68
D0 is '70
D3 is '73
E2 is '82
C=1960's, D=1970's, E=1980's

Get it? Should see that on the left side of the tranny somewhere.

Also check to see if the dipstick tube goes into the case, or the side of the pan. the one that goes into the pan is better, as it has 26 splines on the input shaft rather than 24.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The vent on top of tail shaft housing is a '70-up and vent tube on the side of case is pre-'70. The dipstick tube in the pan doesn't make it a 26 spline, the year does. All 70-up C-4s are 26 spline whether dipstick is in the pan or in the case. All pre '70s and most '69s are 24 spline even with dipstick in the pan. Over the years when the C-4s have been rebuilt, many were upgraded with the '70-up 26 spline direct drum and '70-up front pump(for the larger 26 spline input shaft). That has been a common rebuild practice for the old pre-'70 C-4s when being rebuilt so that's why some pre-'70 C-4s have 26 spline drums and shafts not because they came with them which they didn't. The only thing about pan fill C-4s that differs from case filled are they typically have better servos, some have hardened input shafts, and have over all better/upgraded internals for certain areas.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I didnt realize all post 70 trannys were 26 spline. That will make life easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts