Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my tranny swaped in my 69 mustang (T-5), but I have not idea which flywheel was installed during the exchange. I read the article in this website, and it says that if you install a newer 50 oz flywheel, that your engine will vibrate to death. Just how hard is this vibration? I have driven my mustang ever since, and it seems fine, but my mechanic does not remember which flywheel he installed, and I do not want to take down the tranny to check. Any way to quick check you guys?

·
Registered
9 Posts
you can try removing the inspection plate and see if you can locate the flywheel weight, it should be 28oz for 81 and later and 50 oz for 82 and newer.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
If all seems fine you don't have a problem.Believe me ,if you had the 50oz flywheel you'd know.They pretty much shake the whole car at anything above an idle..
A friend of mine learnt this the hard way.He started off with a flywheel with no weight,got another one but even after i warned him he got the 50oz.As they say 3rd time lucky.He got the 50oz rebalanced to 28oz and all was sweet..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts