Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a reman starter and need to swap over the starter motor parts but i cannot get the darned dowel pin out. i can't get the washer thing to move at all nevermind down far enough to be able to tap the dowel out. do i need to drill it out?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the pic and the link. is this one the same thing? this is what i have. how did you get the cover off to expose the spring? argh all i wanted to do was swap out a starter lol. sheesh. looks like i cant get a mini starter because none of them have the long starter drive?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Jason, that style starter retracts to engage, it doe not go outward. If you change your flywheel style I believe you can go with a different starter.

Doug, over in Cooks Garage with the 55 Ford with a 390 in it did the same thing.
Correct. It can be changed to the later style by changing the flywheel and starter drive. Does your starter asm appear as the one I showed originally? If so, you have the wrong drive (notice drive gear position on either).

NumberDummy

Ford Parts Guru
Garage is empty, add now Join Date: Nov 2006

You have the Bendix inertia type of starter drive (C2AZ-11350-C ~ Motorcraft SD-132), it comes as a one piece assembly: Includes the gear, housing and large coil spring.

It's retained on the starter armature shaft with the "drive pinion" (drift) pin (C2AZ-11365-A). You have to 'unwind' the starter drive to gain access to the pin...to drive it out.

It's a snap to unwind it, but...when this drive unwinds, it can be a PITA to get it back into position.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all. i apologize but i am still confused. i had what i assume to be the stock starter in there and it burnt up. i just want to replace it with another similar one. i really dont want to change the flywheel etc if at all possible. the pic i posted is what is on my stock starter. there must be a way to put that on the remanufactured housing i just got? i just have no idea how to get the drift pin out. maybe i am missing something?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
thanks all. i apologize but i am still confused. i had what i assume to be the stock starter in there and it burnt up. i just want to replace it with another similar one. i really dont want to change the flywheel etc if at all possible. the pic i posted is what is on my stock starter. there must be a way to put that on the remanufactured housing i just got? i just have no idea how to get the drift pin out. maybe i am missing something?
Apologize for what?

Let's start over. Below are the two types of popular starter motors (early-late). Which style did you pull out and which style did the parts store give you?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
:confused:

Went to bed on me huh?

You have the correct drive. Please read the above instructions and the one posted below (Att).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahh gotcha. yep i have the starter on the left. for 22$ from napa i can get a new bendix so i will just do that. i can work on other electrical gremlins and getting he seatbelts installed into the back in the meantime. thanks very much!!
- jason

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
ahh gotcha. yep i have the starter on the left. for 22$ from napa i can get a new bendix so i will just do that. i can work on other electrical gremlins and getting he seatbelts installed into the back in the meantime. thanks very much!!

- jason
I would replace the starter drive (Bendix) at the same time that would eliminate the problem of removing the old one that is probably ready to go out any way.
Very good advice here. You want a new drive with the starter. I thought you had a new one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok idiotic question #2 of many but once i get the new drive do i simply slip it onto the shaft and push it down far enough to get a drift pin in there? and just so i9 can sleep at night how the hell do i get this other drive off lol? i took the starter housing off thinking i could tap the shaft back up and through. nope. i saw where the pdf file said to hold the shaft and spin the spring to release it but how do you do that?
ive tried everything i can think of with absolutely no success?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im wondering if maybe i burned my drive to the armature or something as i cant get any movement other than maybe 1/16t of an inch on the worm gear part.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Here is a follow-up post to the one I showed above-

NumberDummy

Ford Parts Guru
Garage is empty, add now Join Date: Nov 2006

Grab the housing with one hand, hold it firmly, the coil spring with the other, then turn the spring...the drive unwinds.

But it takes muscle to reverse the process.

I hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts