Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I've not described the situation well in the title - but I have a '63.5 car with original P/S.
I want to run the long tube cast iron exhaust manifolds and believe that I cannot run these with the original P/S.
Apparently I would need to replace the P/S ram, the valve and hoses, the steering box and the centre drag-link I assume.

Anyone have any guidance for what components I would need?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
459 Posts
there is a company making a box like gm that replaces yours. (ps . no drag link on anything but straight axle cars.)

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I’m doing that to my 64 Galaxie that power steering box is not an easy swap I had to cut my column and do away with the column shift. The box puts the rag joint at the very edge of the firewall with part of it inside the car. I’m still working it out. I’m going from a 223 6 cyl standard 3 speed column shift to a 390 with shorty cast iron headers with a C6 trans. So tons of modifications.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the Borgeson steering box for my 63 Galaxie and it did not fit at all. The only thing that fit were the frame mounting points. The steering box does not line up with the steering column at all. I took a bunch of pictures of what I had to to do to make it work. I sent pictures of the fitment issue to Borgeson and they admitted that they shouldn't be selling that steering box for the 63-64 Galaxie.

If you do buy the Borgeson steering box be prepared to fabricate.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had to modify the pitman arm as well because the steering linkage geometry was off. The Drag link was sitting at an angle instead of it being square in the car. I have spoken with another guy on a different forum and he is running the rack and pinon set up from Uni steer and he is happy with his setup.

I am happy with how things are turning out on my car, but I did not expect to have to all of these modification in order to make the box work. I have seen the Borgeson boxes go right into mustangs with no issues, but that is not the case for the Galaxie.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow - 521Galaxie - that's a BIG difference in geometry.
Well done on the uni-joint in the shaft, but I agree - more effort than it should have taken! And probably more than I am willing to invest at the moment. It can wait until I get the motor built...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah it definitely wasn't what I was expecting to have to do. It should be nice once it is done. We also changed out the tie-rod ends and added heim joint on the inner and outer links.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
There is a difference in 64 Galaxie pitman arms! The power steering pitman arm and the non power steering one are different. Don’t know if that solve your problem with the geometry but check it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I tried to find a manual steering pitman arm, but that was like finding a needle in hay stack. That is not a common part to come across. We just ended up shorting the power steering pitman arm and got the geometry all squared up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts