Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a book or something that tells how to test sensors such as temperature and BAP and some of the others for a computer controlled engine? My Mustang is 12 years old now and all of this stuff is original. The computer does not detect worn out stuff but I would like to test some of it. I am having some mixture problems and don't want to just change all of them.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I haven't done it personally, (work at a ford dealership), but I"ve heard it said that your local library has books, (i.e. Chiltons/Motors), repair manuals that may have the information you need.
I'm also quite sure that there are places on the internet where this kind of information might be available. Again, I haven't had to feel the need for it myself, but it's gotta be out there............

·
Registered
359 Posts
idealy you would have access to something like a snap on scanner but how many people have that, and the cheaper scaners only read out engine trouble codes

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
If you want to get right down to it, you could do most of it with a digital volt/ohmmeter.
I could probably rattle off a good portion of the 'older style EEC specs', but what fun would that be?
Scanners (for the most part), pull codes. If you wanted to spend lots of your money, (way more than you're proposing at just shotgunning parts at the car), you could get a nice scanner, but then again for what?
Older EEC vehicles, (like anything that's not OBD 2 compliant, didn't have data stream capability anyway. You're STILL going to have to do pinpoint testing of separate sensors, etc. AT the sensor. Scanner ain't gonna do squat. My .002 + 2.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here is THE book you need if you want to look at all of the sensors, what they do, when they do it, why they do it and how to test them. It also gives you some neat testing procedures that your car will run on itself and I don' mean just pulling codes.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control : All Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Cars and Light Trucks 1988 to Current

Buy Now for Only $23.96

In our local bookshelf at the top of the screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts