Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike
Tim

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I usually like to take the axle and put it up to my front tooth and spin it while I count the number of splines, Sometimes you end up chipping a tooth, but you definitely feel each spline as they pass by. LOL

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
mark one with chalk as a starting point and count the high points.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Don't listen to those guys. You will end up with a rough estimate at best. In order to accurately determine the number of splines, use the following formula:

S = sqr rt (0.5*(P^2+V^2))

where; S= number of splines, P= number of peaks, V= number of valleys.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2006-11-14 07:24, Helmantel wrote:

S = sqr rt (0.5*(P^2+V^2))

where; S= number of splines, P= number of peaks, V= number of valleys.

Thats all and good but whats sqr rt and ^ ??
I'm no math wizz and I havent been in school sence 1971 other than I've been working in an Elemintary school the past 20yrs. I didn't get it 30yrs ago and I don't get it now... LOL...

Tim

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
This is childs play.

You just grab the spline end and squeeze it really hard for about 1 minute. Then count the lines in your hand. Best part is you WONT go back around.

Reactions: pedal2themetal45

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Or if you dont want to hurt your hand; put your lips around the spline end of the axle and...............

No, seriously I would get two markers red and blue. Color one spline blue and then just color the rest of them red. Get a piece of masking tape and wrap it around the splines or roll the splines across something that it will mark. Count the marks starting with blue and end the count in red. What do you think?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 11/16/06 12:36pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Get a file, and file each one off in turn, making a tally mark on a piece of paper when you finish each one.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
But by the time he get's to the last one he'll have NO splines left...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Alternatively, you could file off one spline, weigh the shavings, then file them all off, weigh the shavings, and divide by the mass of one spline.

Or, you could align the axle with a local star, and measure the curvature of space time in the localized gravitational field of the splines.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: thekingofazle on 11/18/06 1:50pm ]</font>

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HI All.
for got I posted this tho its 11 years old.. wow can't believe I've had this combo for 11 yrs. Anyway some funny reply's .. I was counting A converter and wasn't coming up with good numbers..
All take care
Tim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts