Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to make extra funds and sell off my 69/70 Cougar extra's and some Fairlane stuff. How do I go about selling them on E-bay, I have some stuff here for sale and have some responces, thanx. Time to empty the garage (actually tin shed) and basement of my extra things.
I know alot of you guys here go there alot and if you can give me some pointers, that would be great.

Thanx alot

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I purchase/sell more audio components than car parts on eBay, but of that, I can give you my pointers............
See what other parts like yours are selling for and go a little lower for a starting price. If you have to have a set amount (don't wanna get hosed in the auction), set a fair reserve price. That way if it doesn't sell, you don't take it up the arce. As far as car parts, I don't know if there's an actual hot/cold season. Seems like if some one wants something, they'll bid on it whenever. Audio componenents seem to get higher during the winter. (people lazing in front of the puter, with nothing else to do). For sure, (and I"m sure you can), put pictures of the items you're selling. HIGH selling point. Lots of accurate information, pictures, usage, etc.
Have fun.......

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Pictures automatically make parts worth more on e-bay. I don't buy anything on e-bay unless I can see what is being offered. I have sold over $2000 of '87-'93 mustang parts that I thought were worthless but I was very surprised at what all that stuff brought. I will be putting a bunch of 351W race parts on e-bay here by Monday and will be taking pictures this weekend along with writing down acurate descriptions so when Monday comes, all I need to do is make my ads. I never put a reserve price on anything and always start out a $1 and let people get into bidding wars with one another. It works and I have seen my parts sell for a lot more than same parts other people offered at the same time but with high starting bids and reserve price. If you want, after I post my ads on e-bay, I can send you a link to my auction page which will contain everything I have on auction and you can see how I did it and what kind of format to follow. Also, the more positive feedback you have, the better. It will make people feel more comfortable about giving you money before they get the part(s). One more thing, sign up with Pay Pal so you can take credit card payments becaust most people either want to pay with credit cards or have no money and therefore must pay with credit cards. You will get a lot more bids and business that way. Very important! Clean your parts up the best you can before taking the best quality picture you can. First thing to do is get Pay Pal registered which will take a few days because they make 2 small deposits in your bank account and you must tell them exactly how much each deposit was in order for them to varify that is your bank account. Then you can recieve instant payments thru Pay Pal which is immediately available to transfer into your bank account. Hope that was the info you were looking for. Good luck and have fun making money!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Email me and I will explain it all to you if you want....Thanks
Matt
[email protected]
Ebay ID= -dr.evil-

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx alot guys, thats a big help. I live in Canada, I've been looking on Ebay for awhile and havent seen many items for sale from Canada, is that because people here dont have anything or is the border fees and stuff a bitch.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I always put "gift" when sending parts to Canada. I always get a big thanks from the guys when they find out they don't have to pay a big tax when they get the stuff. I don't know how it would work coming from Canada to here though. My e-bay ID is the same... 89_coupe

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just alot of odd and end 69/70 Cougar stuff (body stuff, some interior, etc.) and Fairlane stuff, some tranny's. When I get a list together, I will add a page on my site about everything I have, maybe add pictures. I will give you guys first crack when I'm organized.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a question about Ebay... If I put my Falcon up on there, would it not sell if I put a reserve on it? I mean I am not completely firm on the price I am offering it for, but I would like to retain 85% of what I am trying to sell it for. If I do not put a reserve on it.. then theoretically it could sell for $5.00, right? Not to attractive in my opinion.

I have not used EBay either, but I do have a pay pal account because I just sold some rims.

Any recommendations?

1964 Galaxie 500 stock 289 3spd auto, Black Suede with Red Flames
1964 Falcon 4 door, dead 200 Cid 6, Blue and White Grandma Car

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desertdroog on 1/12/02 6:36am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: desertdroog on 1/12/02 6:37am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good point, thanx. I have a 70 Cougar hood near mint, red (no center grille), I want 100. US say, if 1 guy bids $5.00, do I have to sell it for $5.00.

·
Registered
809 Posts
On 2002-01-11 19:30, dark7068 wrote:
good point, thanx. I have a 70 Cougar hood near mint, red (no center grille), I want 100. US say, if 1 guy bids $5.00, do I have to sell it for $5.00.
Unless you put a reserve on the item, yes it goes for the top bid. On high value items I would set a reserve. On small value items just do like 89_coup does. If you loose 10 bucks now and then no big deal. Go for the average.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
You don't have to have a "reserve" to protect yourself though.

You can simply put in a "starting" price that you would settle for and go from there if you like ... but as was said earlier ... that can sometime be a barrier to that "initial" bid ... Most often that first bid is the hard one to get. If you use a reserve just be prepared for a bunch of email from people asking you what your reserve is

Also, if the bid stays low right up to the end, realize that the "Savy" bidders wait until the last 30 seconds to bid, because they don't want to drive the final sale price any higher than they have to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts