Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It won't be too much longer and the 408 will be getting assembled. As for breaking it in, how do you guys recommend doing it? It will have a roller cam that is being used all ready. So I'm guessing the run it up to 2500-3000 rpms for 20 minutes theory gets thrown out the window since its not a flat tappet cam. And, the rings don't like the constant, no load condition, do they? Also, do I run just normal Valvoline 10w30 or something or should some additive like the GM EOS additive be put in(but not a flat tappet, so probably not needed). Thanks in advance guys

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
If you've ever built and then taken apart an engine all you have to do with a roller cam is start it and drive it away like you plan on driving it. There are no break in proceedures.

If you want to "break in the rings" start it and drive it like normal. They will be broken in after the first 2 or three minutes of driving if they are chrome, and after the first 2 or 3 day's if they are standard iron rings.

FE

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Heres what I do. Start it up, check the timing...run it until operating temp, check for leaks. Shut it off. Load it on the trailer. Take it to the races and put the hammer down.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Dustin, it'll get started, run around 1,500rpm for probably 10minutes or so, then go speed up slow down on the highway like I always do, then open it up. Not gonna worry about addivite. It's not really that big of a deal, just get it warmed up load the rings with some speeding up and slowing down, then romp on it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Get it running. Let it warm up. Check for leaks. Do all the adjustments, timing, carb, etc.

Then take it out and drive it. If everything seems OK, take it up on the highway and do some accerlerations form 45 mph up to 70 mph several times. Drive it to let it cool off. It's done. That will seat rings.

Only thing that you have to be careful with I don't let them idle long, like in traffic.

But, from then on just drive it.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
...They will be broken in after the first 2 or three minutes of driving if they are chrome, and after the first 2 or 3 day's if they are standard iron rings...
Typo - fast (nearly immediate) if moly/moly filled, slower if plain iron, really slow if chrome (flash chromed). Chrome iron rings can take months to seat with easy driving. Drive them the hardest. :D The honed surface is critical to the sealing - ask your machinist what finish he uses for each type of ring. If he says the same for all or some slippery answer - get a new machinist.

David

·
Registered
945 Posts
Just drive it like you stole it....

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
How can ANYONE start their motor and have it run nice and smooth after building it, then assume the rings arent' seated?

Seriously. If the car starts and run's fine, how can the rings NOT be seated?

Chrome rings EAT the cylinder walls, and Iron rings are eaten BY the cylinder walls..

Either way. In MY opinion, if the damn car starts and run's like you wanted it to then the friggin rings are seated...

When the rings LOSE their seating or their pressure on the cylinder walls then you loose compression and get blow by and other associated issues...

That's my take on things...

Sorry for the rant, wife is doing advancement exam this morning and we're both moody :)

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
How can ANYONE start their motor and have it run nice and smooth after building it, then assume the rings arent' seated?

Seriously. If the car starts and run's fine, how can the rings NOT be seated?

Chrome rings EAT the cylinder walls, and Iron rings are eaten BY the cylinder walls..

Either way. In MY opinion, if the damn car starts and run's like you wanted it to then the friggin rings are seated...

When the rings LOSE their seating or their pressure on the cylinder walls then you loose compression and get blow by and other associated issues...

That's my take on things...

Sorry for the rant, wife is doing advancement exam this morning and we're both moody :)
Take a freaking PMS Pill.....LOL A couple of heat cycles are fine to get everything seated.

Start it, Check for leaks, Adjust everything, And Drive it like you stole it......... Change your oil after the first 3-4 heat cycles and then at about 500 mile and your good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts