Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting ready to put a fourth timing tape on my SBF since the others came off during test drives or cruises. I prefer the Mr. Gasket over the MSD because the Mr. Gasket is long enough to go all the way around the balancer and quarters off the balancer with marks for setting valve lash. I've made sure the balancer was clean every time, but they still come off. What do you guys do to keep the dang thing on so you can use it more than once?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Paint the balancer surface and let dry. Apply timing tape correctly, then put some clear paint over the ends of the tape. so it does not catch air and come off. You'll be good if you do that and seal the ends of the tape.

Or wait for kultulz to tell you 'I'm wrong' and then not offer any kind of assistance afterwards.. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I did nothing but apply it. Has been on there for 5 years.

But if it did come off, I would clear over it or at least the ends.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Have the balancer indexed.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Have the balancer indexed.
+1. My recommendation is to ditch the tape. I haven't used a timing tape in many years, except for one thing - placing permanent marks on the balancer and putting the tape back in the drawer. Even that is rare now, as most cars in the last 25+ years have only one timing mark, and most racing engines are only built with one TDC mark, so a dial-back timing light is used to read all timing events. While I haven't used one of these, I hear it's accurate and cheap, but the flash is a bit weak. What do you want for $30? Tell Santa. The one I use was over $200 but it gives sex and makes breakfast. Not necessary for basic uses on basic ignitions.

Want to stick with the "dumb" (fixed flash) timing light you already have? I suggest if you want marks that don't leave, use the tape to make accurate nicks in the balancer edge every 5° with a utility knife, then deepen the nicks with a triangular file, and then fill the notches with paint. 5 minutes. You can accurately judge 1° increments between the marks. Check the tape to be positive it is the right one for your diameter balancer first, and use a piston stop to be sure the TDC mark already there is accurate.

Still, I prefer one TDC mark and a dial-back light for 90+% of ignitions. The exception is CDI multi-spark, which only expensive dial-back lights will read properly. While the MSD-type ignitions are going away rapidly, and the new-generation inductive multi-sparks are easy to switch to single spark for timing; if you have an MSD CDI, then the multiple timing marks is the cheapest accurate way out.

David

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
I marked my balancer with a sewing tape measure. Measure the circumference, then you'll know half that is 180, half again is 90, again is 45, and yet again is 22 1/2 ect......you'll get it down to increments that you can easily guesstimate at a degree or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts