Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not too good. Too small a contact patch. Did you get an instruction sheet with the gears or do you have a manual with pictures of different patterns? If so, follow those instructions. If not, add about .015" pinion shim and check the pattern. If pattern looks better, add or remove about .003" at a time and recheck. If worse, remove about .015" and recheck. Always reset the backlash to specs each time before checking the pattern. If I remember right, start with about a .025"-.030" shim. Wrap a shop rag around the yoke, grab each end with one hand and pull on it to create drag as you turn the ring gear to get a pattern. You want an oval shaped pattern centered on the tooth with some yellow showing all the way around, indicating that the pinion gear contact point is not running off the edge of the ring gear tooth.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-05-29 01:03, FALCONAROUND wrote:
looks rusty to me...
you falconer.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let me clarify. I did not set it up. The shop that I waited, and waited for did it.

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
Pinion looks a little too deep, but honestly it looks like they spun it without much drag more than anything, or they are using a paint instead of a grease base and it dried before they spun it

Majority of the picture is centered, a bit toward the carrier, but I bet if you were to do it again and had some drag on the ring gear it wouldnt be as bad

Myself, I like just pinion just a little shallower and a little more room for oil If you are concerned go talk to them before you run it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts