Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know how far the crossover should be from the header collector , an old fella said it should be right behind the header but every h-pipe x-pipe I have seen premade it is a long way from it . plus ford put them about 20-24in away and it works.
what do you think.Because I am buyying a Mr gass setup for a "65 mustang and need to know how far back to put it in.

lowside

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
If you already have an existing exhaust system, the trick I've heard is to spray paint on the pipes, and place the crossover at the point where the paint stops burning off. Otherwise, just put it wherever is easiest for fitment, and maintenance.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I've often wondered what the idea behind that spray-paint method is. Maybe you want to put it at a point that the exhaust has cooled sufficiently, because it will be at a greater density, and lower velocity, so overall you will get more volume of exhaust to flow (or resonate within) the crossover pipe? Be interesting to find out the actual theory behind why they help make power. Must have something to do with smoothing the surges out of the exhaust flow, so it is more of a constant flow. Any thermodynamic harmonic physicist people here? LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts