Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of you guys with drag cars, I have a need to know question.

I have an 88LX Mustang with hatchback. I have an 8 gallon fuel cell mounted in the spare tire sump. I have a fire wall coming up to within two inches of the window and then turns to the rear for another five or six inches.

I am planning to take the car to the World Ford Challenge at St. Louis and don't want to get there and have them tell me I don't have enough fire protection.

If I don't have enough protection I am prepared to remove the cell and replace it with the tank.

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
not too sure about the exact rules, but from what i understand you pretty much have to have the tank totally sealed off from the interior from the car.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
You pretty much have to 'build' another firewall back there. It has to be completely sealed from the interior of the car.

If you send me your e-mail address, I can send you some pics of what I did on my hatchback. I used 3/16" aluminum. I made up 3 different pieces, (to use as templates), and had to go around the roll bar tubes.
Haven't had any complaints about it yet.
Also besides sealing it off inside the fender area, I used a hood sealing strip from a newer style car that 'fit the purpose' for on top to seal it between the hatchback, and the metal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts