Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ,my five year project will be a 7 year project when it finally makes it debut down the 1/4.
I thought I can't be the only one frustrated- due to Family commitments, new combos $$$etc
So How long have your projects taken ???

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Still haven't completed it.... Started my '64 T-bird at 18 and I'm 38 now... (did sell it a few years ago though so maybe it don't count)

FE

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Bought mine when I was 17. I still have it (I'm 30 now) and I still work on it every chance I get. It's a never-ending project. Most hot rods are.

That said, I would like to do another one, someday when I win the lottery and quit working 80 hours a week.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I am glad this got brought up, and I would hope a lot would contribute to this thread. This is the thing. So far, I have had mine for a year, but most of that time it didnt get worked on due to garage space, overtime, blah blah blah. You go to car shows and they say "yep, took me 10 years to complete!". Ok, so during those ten years just how much time went to the car itself? Like I said, Ive had mine for a year, but total time into the car would have to be approx 2 weeks. BUT......I took a lot of time after I bought the car preparing my garage, gaining the proper equipment and tools, and learning on this forum. Heck, I spent my entire 2week vacation on the internet, books, and whatever research I can gain on the things I wanted to do and was planning on doing. IE; disc brake conversion. So, before this question is answered by anyone more, let us factor in lifes little hassles, money constraints, sickness/injury, and how many true man hours were actually spent on the project itself. Cause I mean lets face it; Overhaulin' is a cool show, and I believe it does acutally happen, but it is still in fact....television entertainment and not real life as you and I know it!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I slowly collected parts for just over a year, and then committed to tearing into the car 1st week in July of 2005. I replaced everything on the undercarriage, drive line, suspension and steering including newly built stroker. I got it back on the pavement 1st week of July this year. Next I will be wiring and redoing the interior. All the insulation and carpets nave been pulled, I now have bare metal floors with mats on them but at least I can drive the car.
I would rather have it on the road running on its own steam as I work on finishing the rest of it bit by bit than to have it sitting somewhere on jack stands for ten years. At least I can enjoy it as it develops and you can keep your enthusiasm up with each new part you bolt or wire on. How many rolling chassis have you seen on Ebay with all the parts piled in the front seat or in the trunk? If you loose your focus or your passion it will happen to you.
Like Mavman said these projects are never really done.
It is going to be nice when I lay down the Dynomat and new carpeting but until then I got metal floors yall!

Ras Daniel

Good point, after reading the above post, I think we all hold down regular Jobs and have family and live issues which prevent us from working on this Hobby full time. Hell I do not get paid to work on my car but wouldn’t that be nice. So although my car was down for a year the only time I had to work on it was weekends and after work with the night lights on provided I had the energy to crawl under there. And then there were times where life issues, money or work did not allow me anytime at all for weeks on end. I like to think that I kept up a pretty good clip though despite all odds.
Ras Daniel

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Iethiopian on 8/28/06 11:07am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Iethiopian on 8/31/06 10:32am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mine started out as an '83 T-Bird purchased at an impound auction for $45. Was going to be my 17 year old son's race car with a 351C. I did a bunch of work trying to get him to start working on it but just couldn't get him to get on it. I took over the 'Bird for my race car but mis-measured on my back half so we swapped everything in to my '39 Studebaker Coupe.

Built a complete frame for the Coupe but realized late last year that we were still 2 - 3 years out before it would be ready to run. So I bought the Falcon in February this year. Still hasn't been to the track but it is closer and it does drive (took it out again tonight for a bit).

So far it's been 4 years and 3 different cars. Winter is coming and the Falcon should get completed (paint, etc) over the winter and then I think I can call it done. Until it booms itself or I break something else. Or I find a deal on a cool pre-war coupe and change cars again.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a budget like Foose or Coddington and a crew of 50 plus all those free parts so that we could bang out our dream cars every few weeks? Only on tee-vee. I work 50 -60 hours a week plus another 30 + on the car. Lawns don't get mowed, house don't get painted. Something has to give sometime. Fortunately Missus Murff is as big of a motor head as I am.

Murff

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I've had the Bronco since I was 15 (that was in '95), and put quite a bit of time and money into it the first few years... but recently it's just been maintenance and the occasional mechanical upgrade like the electric fans, new carburetor, etc.. Got the Ranger in '03, drove it for a few months while I was collecting parts like engine, trans, etc... the about the 6 month mark did the engine swap and have been enjoying it ever since
. It's my primary project vehicle now, although for the last couple years it's pretty much only been low-buck projects... but that's what happens when you get married, have a kid, buy a house, priorities change... but in 2-3 years I'll have a 3-car garage built, more income, and more time to get back into working on them... maybe even put a paint job on them since the Ranger's paint (what's left of it) is original, and the Bronco's 12yr old Maaco paint job is WAAAY past due for a total overhaul.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
On 2006-08-27 22:23, FALCONAROUND wrote:
On 2006-08-27 20:32, MonsterMach wrote:
Project ...

Which one

I knew Larry would say that!
That was going to be my original post, but why bore you guys with all of the stuff I've got going on when most of it pertains to ATVs, bikes, lawn tractors (the racing kind) and working on stuff for friends. Trust me, if I ain't working at my full-time job, I'm putting in my 8+ hours at home in the shop....working on something. It's the only way I can afford to go racin.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
After buying my last parts car, a wrecked '72 Torino 4 door for the wiring and 351c, a buddy said
"you know if you'd stop buy parts cars and cutting them up, maybe you'd get some actual work done on your damn Torino"
I thought about it and he was partialy right. I have picked up a couple parts cars, and keep parting stuff out, but it's been to get certain parts, and raise money for either my project, or occasionally pay my bills when needed.

I drug my 1972 Gran Torino Sport from a barn after it had slept there 17 years. That was 5 years ago; I tore it down, but 4 years ago I drove to california and back for a decent body shell {of which this web site's staff has an intament history with}
I've got a decent amount of time in my car, but like alot of guys...time, money, buying a house, getting married, dealing with a dog that eats doors and drywall...etc...I was going in stretches of working my normal job, coming home and going straight to the garage and working most nights until 2-3am and going to work at 8am...
My biggest thing is I have learned, even if you are broke, there ia always plenty of stuf to work on that doesn't cost $$$.
My guess, I have a solid 6-7 months worth of time in my car so far.
I figure maybe sometime next year it'll get paint. Right now, I am finally getting my butt in gear, and should hopefully have a running driving car in a month or two.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
OK ...

"The Yellow Monster" Been around since June 1997 ... considered reasonably DONE

"Queenie's 67 Camaro SS350 Clone" ... been around since 1999 ... WAS reasonably done ... now headed toward a whole new level which means it's now returned to it's infancy so to speak even though it's a very cool car as it sits, 350 Roller motor, Four wheel power disc brakes, amazing power steering, Nice leather interior, 85 Firebird front seats, 67 Camaro Deluxe Interior nearly complete, Air Conditioning. I'd drive it cross country tomorrow if I needed to.

Queenie's 54 Ford F100 ... been around since about 1998 ... truely still a project ... all the Major systems 100% functional ... but fit, finish and trim ... a long ways from done.

OH ... and the 351 Cleveland ... a result of the Rotating Assmebly left over from the original "Q" Code engine from the Mach1. It's going together now and maybe, just maybe it will power a AC Cobra kit car one day ... time will tell.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 8/29/06 9:15am ]</font>

·
Registered
909 Posts
To-o-o long. But I have lost interest more than once and it just sits. Then I go back and start again for a few weeks and the cycle begins again. Even lost interest in sites as well that's why I haven't been here in a while.

Later!
Mr. Ed

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm let's see...

Bought my first 65 Gal in August of 01. $600.00. Got what I paid for and had to trailer her home. Chasis and drivetrain in OK shape body discovered to be pretty bad.

Bought my second 65 Gal in August of 02. $4000.00. Got what I paid for and drove her home from Long Island. Engine tics and frame is pretty rusted but hold on, I have a good chasis out back...hmmmmmmmmmmm

Meet Wildo on Fordmuscle fall of 05. Get more than I bargained for

See my thread in the Galaxie forum.
No deadline set, I'm sure money will become an issue but so far it looks like 5 years and the clock is still ticking!

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Many, many, many, bloody knuckle, back breaking, temper flaring hours. Is it worth it? Not at this point, but I've got too much time and money invested to stop. So I let it ,the Falcon, sit for a spell and when I go back to it , I try to put all that behind. Our brains are not suspose to let us remember pain. If it did, we would be continously hurting. Sometimes my brain doesn't function correctly, because I get these urges to set fire to the damn car.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: retyler on 8/31/06 9:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
My '67 took about 2.5 years, but like most, it was at a pretty slow pace. I had to pace it out with school and such (and I still went slower than I could have.)

I don't really know how many hours I had into it, but considering it was my first ever attempt at working on a car, I'd say it turned out pretty well.

I do have another project now, however. I joined the Formula SAE team here at the University of Oklahoma. They basically build a race car from scratch from the ground up. 450 pound car, 70HP 600CC Honda motorcycle engine, (thats over 1:10 power to weight ratio)

So I've got something to wrench on, and full access to a machine shop plus materials. They even let me machine things for my own personal use.

I'll get some pictures for you guys sometime, but its an amazing little vehicle. Over a G on the skidpad, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, and that was last years car. They build a new one each year. I'm happy finally up here because I can learn and keep my hands dirty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Way too long. Rust bucket, 4spd, 69 Fastback and cheap. Fell in love with them back in the day when they were new. Still love lookin at it. Anyhow, got the car in 98/99 and $18k in total and growing. It's straight, primered, strong but unfinished & stuck in the process of fuel injection. I just wish I could snap my fingers, have it done and go for a drive with my gal.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
i bought my ltd in 97 and its still not done,getting there though.
my biggest problem was too many projects ,too easy to get overwelmed, and felt like i was getting nowhere,so ive sold all but two,kept my ltd and an aussie 1970 xw wagon,i just love all that chrome and lack of plastic.
now ive cut the project cars down to two things are moving along at a much better pace.
i dont really think ill ever be completely finished,just the nature of this hobby imo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts