Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to decide if i should just take the easy route and use shortys or the possibly dificult route and go with long tubes. the car they are going on is my 69 galaxie, auto trans floor shift. the car is bagged and the frame lays on the ground. so does the transmission crossmember. so my question is. in relation to the lowest part of your trans xmember (right below the trans) where do the collectors sit? higher? lower? even? if lower, by how much? if higher, by how much? the motor is a 351

·
Registered
188 Posts
Forget the long tubes and go w/shorties.

What size motor?

You will need to build a new trans x-member or modify the stock, which is what I did.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 351. and i have no probablem modifying the xmember. i was actually thinking of doing it anyways since i dont want to catch it on the ground when im driving slammed. do you have pictures of yours?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Cleveland, or Windsor?

I have the 400m in mine.

You will have to do something w/the x-member I had issues at stock height always hitting the exhaust on something.

I just built a custom exhust system and in the process of welding it up tonight, should be finished tomorrow.

I modified the stock xmember to get the pipes up as high as possible.

Here are a few pics of the car.....

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/474178-71-ltd-conv-one-day.html

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh man now that i know thats your car i have so many questions for you. i love your car by the way.

1. what are the specs on your REAR wheels?

2. are you laying frame in the front? the rear?

3. did you have to raise your driveshaft tunnel?

4. are you running stock inner fender liners?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks,

Fronts and rears are the same 20x8 dont remember the offset.

Nothing is cut, I did not want to do that on this car. I've cut up brand new trucks, but for what I wanted the stance to be I did not have to cut anything.

Stock inner fenders (powdercoated). Front x-member is about 1/2 off the ground, the rear is about 1-1/2 or so from the frame.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool thanks for the info. my front and rear is laying but you are damn close so hopefully i wont have to raise the tunnel because it looks like its going to be really close (driveshaft is not in right now)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heres how my car sits right now, just to show you

this picture is the car sitting at about the same height yours is (with the measurements you said) before i made it lay out

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you want it to lay all the way you'll have to raise the tunnel.

Mine sits on the rearend bumpstop. I might could have went about a 1/2 inch more by trimming the bumpstop, but I have shockwaves on the rear and just did not have any more room anyway.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The bad thing about laying the frame is if you blow a bag at freeway speed it will get hairy real quick...plus your are stuck where you stop and it is bear to get a tow truck to atempemt to load it on a flatbed.
I set my bags up so I can still drive with no air in it,

here are some old pics with the 73 front clip before it got totaled

Bags deflated

Fully inflated

Ride height

Taildragger

highjacker

and one with the new front clip

sorry for the thread jack

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not to worried about s bag blowing and getting stuck. I've built tons of bagged cars/trucks in the past. And know the do's and donts

Also I took all the bumpstops out in the rear

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh ok. maybe mine is slightly different then since it sits lower

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
My exhaust, header collectors are hardly below the trans crossmember, if at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
how was the fitment when you installed them? did you have to modify anything?

also what application are your headers listed for? for a galaxie or a torino?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Bought a used set of long tubes, not 100% sure what they were for but we had to modify them to go thru the crossmember as well. I had a set of brand new headers purpose built for a 72 torino and they were formed exactly the same so I can say to make torino headers fit you will have to modify them to pass thru the crossmember holes. The headers tuck pretty well otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i would love to have a set of electric cutouts. but i dont think ill need them since my exhaust is pretty much going to end a foot after the collectors haha

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
plus there way to expensive

also which way did you have to "pull" the collectors to make them aim at the xmember slots? were they pointing out to much or in to much? and both sides?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts