Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 71 LTD convertible with a 351w stroked to 377, World Sr. heads, Comp Cams XE268, C6 with TCI 3K torque converter and TCI manual reverse valve body, rear is a 9" with 4.11 gears, BFG 295/65/15 drag radials. The car weighs 4800 pounds and runs 1/4 mile in high 13 - low 14 second range.

I just picked up a B&M supercharger and will be running ~9 lbs of boost in the near future. I haven't had problems with the 28 spline axles yet, but I'm wondering if they will snap like toothpicks once the blower is installed given how much the car weighs, and the large sticky tires. Do I have enough cushion in the C6 setup to not worry about breaking the 28's, or am I justifiably paranoid?

So far the only places I've found that will make me a set of 31 spline axles are Currie and Strange. Both want about $400. I haven't been able to find any stock axles that will fit. The problem is that one of my axles is 33 3/8" long and the guy at Currie says that they can't make me a set of "replacement grade" $220 axles because they only stock cores to 33" which is the size used in trucks. In order to make an axle that will fit my car they will need to use their "performance grade" $400 axles.

I have a 31 spline cente rsection so that won't be a problem. Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
dude, spend the extra if that what ya gotta
do,
This past summer I was running low 13's in
my 78 tbird 4400lbs, with dragradials
I then added some NOS and some ET streets , got me into the high 11's.
On my 3rd full traction launch, I snapped
one of my stock 28 spline axles, It destroyed
my Detroit locker and the bears on that
side. Cost me just over 900.00 to upgrade
to 31 spline locker, new bearings, and Moser
axles. Several other people on this forum
have talked about the same situation as mine.

Sounds like your car is cool dude,(dare to be different)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hey Tbird,
I have a 79 T-Bird w/351W that I am trying to find a set of headers for. Do you have any idea of what will fit as I am having no luck browsing thru the catalogs. Is there another chassis similar to the 77-79 that would work?
Thanks,
Danny

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Isn't '79 a Fox chassis? Everyone has axle stories... I told a friend when we built his truck that a 28 spline mini spool, axles & crappy case won't make it, he said that's all I got. '79 full size chev, 468, 2 dominators, & a fogger. 3800 pounds, 9.90's & never broke... I don't know why
89coupe had a Pinto in the 9's & never broke a 4 lug axle either... but he so crazy! I think it's pot luck. If you buy axles be sure to get street axles because the race axles break real easy.

·
Registered
848 Posts
get a set of aftermarket axles. here is a shot of one of my 31 spline's out of a 428 cj car. i had a detroit locker and mickey t pros, ans the car never hooked. the only reason i found out about this was that my axle seal was leaking.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fordguy on 5/3/02 5:49am ]</font>

·
Registered
37 Posts
kywookie,

Check out 77-79 Ranchero, Cougar, LTD

These cars are all basiclly alike in
frame dimensions especially near the front
by the engine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
679 Posts
TBird,
I have tried those body styles and still cannot find headers listed for the 351W, tho they are available for the 351M for those years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts