Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was trying to get rid of free no shipping. but a gentleman asked how much i would want if i would ship them. i do not know how much they are worth. any help would be great

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Time and materials - since you are not in the business of either shipping or selling. He should be willing to pay for anything that you have to do exclusive of taking him to the garage and helping him put the in the trunk of his car.

About $200 should be enough to cover everything. It's a lot more work to ship stuff, in a way that is likely to get it there in one piece...than most people realize, unless they have done it more than once. It'll take at least a heavy duty cardboard box and a bunch of packing to make sure it isn't destroyed from handling and all that iron trying to get out.

If he balks or starts to explore the outer edges of his vocabulary, just remind him they are "still" free if wants to come get them.

If a guy wants them for a XL restoration, they'll go for a lot more than that. It painful to admit, but people are just too used to easy...

I have driven 300 miles, just to look at a wrecked car in the hope that it had a part I needed.

here you are giving away a rare option on a limited edition car and the guy wants you to do all the work, to get the parts to him?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 8/7/06 5:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi beowolf
that sounds reasonable that is one reason why i just wanted to get rid of because i have to find the right boxes. i have boxed up stuff before and after getting the total etc. they back out of the deal.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Learned my lesson the hard way.

A few years back, I had a nearly new FE C-6 and high stall converter that I couldn’t use any more. I offer it for sale on e-bay, local only. Converter was $400, the transmission was double that and then some. I wanted a transmission from one of the "Big Name" and that was what I was going to get. I offered the old setup for about $500, but they had to come get it. I finally offered to meet them anywhere within 50 miles, as a best offer to get it out of the garage. I just didn't have the space and didn't want to deal with it any more.

After a bunch of low-ball offers, this guy from two states away offers full price. I asked him when he could pick it up...that's when he sprung the two states away deal on me. I asked him if he knew how much it was going to cost for shipping...then reminded him of the no shipping I had in my adv. - even though the sale was final, I offered to let him off the hook. He sounded sincere, and still wanted the setup...so I started making calls to local places that crate up shipments - they wanted some where about $200 to crate it (most were even higher!).

Thats when my good instincts good the better of me. My "Big Name" transmission had arrived; so I figured if I used that crate to ship it in, it would save the guy a few bucks (save me from a trip to the dump too). I tell him about it and we are off on the quest to save him some money and maybe get me some point with St. Peter – Lord know I’m in the red zone for all the crap I got into as a Kid. In the end, it took me a few days to modify the package to fit the old transmission, then I had to rent a pick to take it to the freight yard (again I was trying to save the guy some money - they want $50 to come pick it up and since I didn't ramp...another $25 for a tailgate lift truck to bring it to the yard).

I damn near break my back moving the whole thing by myself, with the packing, the converter and the transmission it was one heavy POS.

I find the yard, they have me wait about 2 hours to get the big trucks unloaded before they can get a fork lift out to take it off the pick up - union rules, they have to do it. Then another hour while the get their finger out their behind...trying to decide how to bill a customer drop off. Finally everything is done.

A few weeks later I get a call from the guy - he is PO-ed that they added some extra charges to the bill, because he asked them to deliver it, so he has them deliver it to his company - played around with the shipping department to get it on the company account, the cost got kicked out by his accounting dept as above the routine price they accept without vouchers. He tells me I gave him bad information!

I am not a sailor, but I play one on TV - I should have gotten an academy award for the performance I gave over the phone.

A few weeks later, after he has it installed in his car, he calls back and thanks me for the transmission. It was everything I had said, much better than what he had expected. I said thanks, I was glad to hear he was happy and that everything had worked out.

Bottom line, I don't do shipping anymore. If the crate charges are high, thats not my fault. If I sell anything that big or heavy again - shipping will not be an option; it'll be from my garage to the end of the driveway. After that, its yours - Now, even for small stuff, my figure include everything, I even add in the charges for phone calls and driving time.

"Course...the truth is, I still fall for a good sob story every once in a while. Why do I do that? I usually end up getting bit in the end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 8/7/06 6:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it seems only to happen on the big stuff for me. but yes i do consider the situation. for example i sent the calipers from the same setup to australia because he seemed to be a very nice guy and i know they have a hard time getting parts and also he paid me well to send the parts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts