Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should there be clearance/play between the converter and flexplate on a C4 before the converter retaining bolts are installed and tightened up? Why I ask is because, when I installed my c4, I installed the converter into the tranny and "felt" three engagements as I slid it in to the tranny. I then mated up the tranny to the block and put the bellhousing bolts in snug. I stuck my finger through the starter hole to rotate the converter around to line up the bolt holes on the converter and flexplate. When I got a hole lined up I went ahead and fully tightened the bellhousing bolts. I then proceeded to install the converter bolts and found the first bolt hole to be slightly misaligned, so I stuck my finger back through the starter to rotate the converter slightly and couldn't, converter was tight against the flexplate. I loosened the bellhousing bolts ever so slightly, and was able to spin the converter with my finger again, tightened the bolts back up and couldn't move converter. Is something wrong????

·
Registered
659 Posts
my guess, you had tranny in the car. so you bound the other bolt against the plate.
I never put bolts in then bell housing till i have converter with studs thru the holes and nuts started.
you just were not in alignment i think.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blockplate is on there. There was no other bolt or stud to bind up on the flexplate, the converter has threaded bosses on it not studs sticking out. Converter is fully seated, what else could be wrong? The only thing I can think of is that I'm using a PA hardened input shaft. I saw on here some people having problems with them.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
there are two different depths for the C4 bell housings. the bell that is for the 157 tooth ring gear is 5 7/8" deep and the one for the 164 tooth ring gear is 6 1/4" deep. My guess is that you have the wrong bell for your flywheel. 3/8" is just about the right amount of clearance for a converter to have and you have about 1/8" interferance. so there you have my guess.
Paul

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had a problem once with a aftermarket input shaft from PA. The splines on the trans end not the converter end were not machined in length deep enough........I think I expained it where you could understand. I usually run about .125 as a min. clearance

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree with Forthman. Don`t tighten bell housing bolts until converter is in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rcm600 on 8/18/06 12:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bellhousing is 157 tooth size, flexplate is 157 tooth. I took it back apart, checked that the converter would seat all the way in and it did. put everything back together and it all slid together pretty smoothly. I tightened up the bellhousing and was still able to rotate the converter to line up the retaining bolt holes. There was clearance, but nowhere near 3/8 inch, the flats on the converter snout aren't much more than 3/8 deep. I buttoned everything up, installed the drive shaft and fired her up. shifted through the gears, drove it around the block, all seems fine. Pump is working, left a fitting loose accidentaly and found that one out. I'll be thrashing on it real soon, hopefully it'll hold up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts