Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I am building one of these stroker BBF's that I mentioned here before and now I have a problem. The custom pistons that I ordered for the motor do not have enough of a dish and the compression will be higher than planned can I get away with it or should I have the dish in the piston made deeper? Here is the combo
523" BBF 4.44" bore 4.225" stroke 6.795" rods 1.40" piston pin height, and the dish was supposed to be 26cc, but my machinist called tonight and said that the dish is only 16.5 so instead of having close to 10.5 to one I am going to be at about 11.35 to one. The cam I have for it is 244 and 254 degrees at .050 with .588 and .614 lift, it has 112 lobe seperation and will be installed at 108 degrees intake centerline. I really wanted to run this thing on pump gas and now I am worried about if I can or not the car is a prostreet mustang should weigh about 3400 lbs or less I only want to be able to cruise it on the street and make a few passes at the track to see what it will do can I get away with it or should I get the dish in the pistons cut deeper? also these are custom reverse doom not just a standard dish so cost could be higher to redo them not sure though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tim R on 4/18/02 8:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
442 Posts
I built a 347 stroker that ended up having 11.20 to 1 compression and would run ok on pump gas (91oct) under 3500 rpm.I would say for pump gas 10.5 to 1 max. just my 2cents

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get 92 octain here in the midwest easy or ethanal added fuels not sure about the ethanal fuels in performance application though. also can mix in 110 blue thunder if I need to, but would rather not for street use.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Have looked into getting your heads deshrouded a little to gain some chamber volume? It might be cheaper than having the pistons fly-cut, with the added bonus of some breathing room.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
You can probably forget about running straight pump gas... I'd find a local airport and start 'supplementing' each tank of pump fuel with 5 gallons of av-gas. It's only around $2 a gallon, so it's cheap and effective octane boost. It's not race fuel, (neither is pump gas) but it does have plenty of real lead, and is 100 octane. It's great for 'ping free' operation on the street. It's FAR more effective than any octane booster you buy in a can! The local airport here sells tons of the stuff to the local dirt track racers, Harley riders, and muscle car drivers.

Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts