Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plan on getting my car upholstered by the end of April, and I was curious how much I should be looking at. How much did yours cost and what did you get done? if you have any pictures I would love to see them. I also plan on custom interior, I'm not too big of a fan of the print on the 1966 galaxie 500 seats.

I'm looking at 3,000 for vinyl, but I kind of want to go cloth. I like the feel more. and the car doesn't come into contact with anything that would rip or burn it.

Again if you can tag a picture with the price you paid that'd be awesome. any other money saving tips would be much appreciated as well. (i.e. taking out the back seat, undoing all the interior trim)

·
Premium Member
5,864 Posts
I got f&b benches for $800. I dropped off the car and after a few days had to give them a mid-course correction - to start over and use my hand-painted outline on the old seat cover I had given them for a guide. You can see they had to cut and build up the foam seat to get the contouring I wanted. Carpet and dash cap covered for $100 each. Picked up the car and then did the doors myself. Vinyl used was Mellowhide marine. All in all not a real tight perfect job, I give it a "B". Saddle interior looks good in a black car.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got a quote to do my 65 Galaxie. Going back Monday to put a deposit down to get the process started. I was quoted: $1979.50 out the door.

-Front bucket seats (66 Thunderbird)
-Rear seat
-Package tray
-Front and rear door panels
-Headliner

Everything done in vinyl.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CWood,

Over the phone, I told them I would want the same thing done that you asked for and I was told about 3,000.00. Now I know I should start looking around haha, could save me a grand (all vinyl). Thanks.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Dearborn Classics {Ecklers} has kits including EVERYTHING for right at $2200, sunvisors, headliner, carpet,armrests, seat covers, doorpanels, dashpads ect...I can't see anywhere near the prices ya'll are having to pay for just a set of seatcovers installed.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Production items are ALWAYS cheaper than having something custom made. A LOT of Labor is involved in doing interiors from scratch.
I was in the business from age 14 until I retired a couple years ago. No one ever wants to pay labor and no one ever stays around to watch how long it takes and what is involved.
Just a note, installing seat covers isn't like changing a tire. Is some cases you have to rebuild the seat foam and padding or even repair damaged springs. Just because the seat looks good before you tear it down doesn't mean it is always in good shape.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I just bought front and rear door panels and quarter panel covers for my 65 vert from dearborns I paid roughly 550 and I have to tell you I'm not satisfied. Panels are plain Jane no stitching nothing not to mention its a pain in the ass to install probably could have gotten custom for couple hundred more. Chances are I will probably end up eating the cost of the panels and taking it somewhere. I've ordered a few things from Dearborn and for the price to quality ratio not been very impressed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want the original interior, not my style at all. I'm actually desiining the interior myself. I'm very artistic, and I have 3D modeling software (unigraphics) at work and autocad to design it. So i'm hoping having the dimensions for every pieces will help reduce labor (cost). but i'd rather pay for something custom than the original interior. Something about having excessive vertical lines inside of a horizontal flowing body just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Not trying to bust your bubble but I don't think you had better expect any cheaper price. All you are doing is giving the trim man a picture of what you want. Anyway since you have never did trim work what you draw doesn't always work when it comes to putting in on the finished product. But it is good that you do have a design on paper of what you want.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
To put a custom vinyl headliner and windlace in my 63 Country Sedan cost $1100. The car had a cardboard headliner from the factory so with vinyl was all custom including making the bows and the brackets for them. Took the trimer 4 days to do it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
So I just bought front and rear door panels and quarter panel covers for my 65 vert from dearborns I paid roughly 550 and I have to tell you I'm not satisfied. Panels are plain Jane no stitching nothing not to mention its a pain in the ass to install probably could have gotten custom for couple hundred more. Chances are I will probably end up eating the cost of the panels and taking it somewhere. I've ordered a few things from Dearborn and for the price to quality ratio not been very impressed.
Anyway you can post some pics of what they sold you? I'm about ready to spend a bunch of money with them or Mac's most likely. The catalog says their interior parts are concours quality and exact fabrics, design, ect....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got the rear panels so far front should be in tomorrow or Mon but I will take some pics tomorrow and post them. I gotta tell you the stuff isn't trash but its damn sure not concours quality. Like I said kinda disappointed probably go custom made eventually

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I have about two G's into my convertible buckets and I haven't even put them in yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just had an estimate done on my '62 front seats this morning. To completely re-do front bench seats, about $1000. Thinking of just replacing the seating area vinyl and re-seaming the panels instead for $3-400.

Then I get out and look back and realize this is never going to be a show car (after market disc brakes, A/C, etc). It's a beautiful convertible driver - and the only thing that's wrong with the 50 year old original seats is a few splits where the cotton threading is falling apart, and a couple cuts in the vinyl -- so maybe I should just ignore it for a while.

That said - anyone have a good lead on a source for replacement vinyl and chrome piping?

Oh, the joys of classic car ownership... :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
My front seat is pretty thrashed on the driver side. Broken springs and whatnot... Not too excited to get an estimate after reading this thread! Might just hafta make the Mexican blanket work haha

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
$800 front buckets and rear seat, I was pretty happy so I tipped him $50 :). I removed the seats myself but still don't see how anyone could do a good job any cheaper. When I picked it up the outer material (two tone) looked a little darker than what I ordered, but after I installed the seats it went with my paint job very well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts