Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Too much when its sittin on your chest and your trying to bench press it up for the third time and get everything all lined up with only two hands!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
I was going to guess a hundo or so. Been a while since I had to do the tailstock on your knees, rest of it on your chest, and bench press the works into the bellhousing all by yourself. (like way back in 74-75).........

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not too bad I had to lift it in place with one hand and turn the tail yoke to line up the splines with the other so probably 120lbs

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Last summer I tried putting 4 short pieces of threaded rod into the bolt holes on the bellhousing.worked awesome as it lets you get the tranny started perfectly straight and then takes the weight so you can free up your hands to get the throw out bearing over the sleeve and turn the splines on the tailshaft ,if you have to.Just make sure you leave enough rod sticking out so you can get a hold of it to unscrew it and put in the bolts
FE427TP you must eat your wheaties everyday.Do you bother to jack up the car or do you just hold it up with your knees

·
Registered
127 Posts
On 2002-04-12 02:27, frdnut wrote:
FE427TP you must eat your wheaties everyday.Do you bother to jack up the car or do you just hold it up with your knees
actually I have had to push up on my truck with my knees before and the worst was when I had the NP435 start to slide off the jack, they feel a lot heavier when you have to hold them in a emergency LOL

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I bought a Falcon Toploader and had it shipped from TX to CA via UPS. It was 90 lbs.

I found out the hard way how heavy a toploader is. My moron roommate was unable to let the floor jack down "a tiny bit" as he dropped it about ten inches in a quarter second.

It is fun to put one in by yourself. Military press the sucker up and in. Always use two bolts with the heads cut off as guide pins. And have the trans in gear with a spare yolk if possible. That way you can turn the yolk and align the clutch splines on the fly. I've done it about five times.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I just replaced my ford motor sport 10.5" clutch with a King Cobra unit, and luck does happen. got my clutch in, got my tranny on the jack rolled it under the car, raised it up and moved it forward, got it thru the disc, and plop, it fell in literally, it went in all the way with out exerting any real force, flush with the bellhousing, I havent done a lot of clutches but this has never happened. Id claim to have skills but that would not be entirely true.

Luck Happens

1 - 12 of 12 Posts