Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have at least 9.5:1 compression.. I've got 289 54cc chamber heads on a 302 with flattop pistons. Anyways, I recently installed new spark plugs with a gap of 45.. Is this too much gap for this compression? The car runs great now.. I am running the pertronix ignition module with a MSD 6 series box... So I got spark!

Chris:roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roler on 12/22/01 3:39pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I just replaced the plugs in my 408W stroker and according to "1 Bad 88 GT" gapped them at .052" and it runs super!! Has a cheap ole Accel electronic ignition but it does the job!!

My thought....The bigger the spark, the better!! As long as it doesn't miss fire.

Cobrajack

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had a 351m and installed a Mallory
6a cd box. Ford called for a plug cap
between 35-60K After cleaning the plugs
I gapped them at 60K, the car would not
start, I regaped them at 58k, fires
great, ran good,
I am going to run the same gap on my
351c motor, and see what happens

·
Registered
777 Posts
On gas, a bigger gap will generally make more power if the ignition will handle it. On the other hand, an alcohol motor that doesnt have alot of compression, too big of a plug gap and it wont start. My race cleveland has 11.5-1 compression. I was having problems with it starting with the gap set at .040. I closed them up to .035 and it starts great now. But when I had 13.85-1 compression, it started great with the gap at .045.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Its hard to start anything running on alcohol, LOL. I've seen a few guys at my track running NOS plates just spraying gas to start up their alcohol motors. Once they warm up a bit they cut in the alky. You can hear the motor change sound when that stuff starts hitting.

I run a 289, 10:1, around 38 degrees timing, MSD 6, pump gas and 1 range colder plugs and I gap mine at .045. It runs fine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hottarod on 12/26/01 4:37am ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts